Alan Wood - Woodlore knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Joe, Dont buy one on Ebay as they are usually about £100 ott of a new one. better off getting a WS version from Ray Mears if your in a hurry as they are only(ha ha) £95.or book the real mccoy from Alan and wait. There are alternatives that are as good but cheaper,check out Allan Blade knives or Bark River on British blades. You could have a custom Knife made to your own spec for less than £100!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Well, I guess the preference has been dealt with by the MANY other threads... I was actually after that knife as it was the benchmark knife that everyone measures others against.

As I'm not very experienced I figure it's going to be a good idea to spend some time with it so I can draw my own conclusions.

I have different shaped hands to everyone else, I do most things badly so I’m going to need to draw my own conclusions and also, I think it's a really nice looking knife. aesthetically very pleasing.

Besides, If they are well looked after, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to sell it on ebay for as much as I bought it for... even if I pay over the odds I’m going to get it back. unless I really like it and decide to keep it :roll:

I have been eyeing up the WS version though... with the wooden handle.

Joe

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Joe, another thing to consider is how familiar are you with knives! With any new hobby or interest it is tempting to jump in and buy the most expensive thing because you perceive it to be the best only to find out as experience grows that it wasnt quite what you wanted - or worse through inexperience that you have ruined it long before you learned how to use it correctly.

Personally I'd say buy a £10 frost, Kellam or Mora type knife and learn - then when your ready then look at whats out there and select the best you can afford and the knife which most suits you.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Id mirror what Garys said.

I bought a A.Wood Woodlore many years ago (prob 10yrs) but have yet to use it - its never been outdoors. Its not a collectors piece, just that Ive had no reason to use it. I think the main reason I got it was because of the R.Mears factor and that if he uses it it should be good ?! ALSO I didnt know of many other companies, like there are now and with such choice.

I bought a frosts knife £10 as well and have used it to nearly distruction point but still comes back for more! Im not very experienced at sharpening either so its great to practice on.

By all means buy one but I dont think its the Holy Grail of knives. I like the look of the A.Wood Bushcrafter but it would be stupid of me to put another knife on the shelve :rolmao:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
SquirrelBoy said:
I bought a A.Wood Woodlore many years ago (prob 10yrs) but have yet to use it - its never been outdoors. Its not a collectors piece, just that Ive had no reason to use it. I think the main reason I got it was because of the R.Mears factor and that if he uses it it should be good ?! ALSO I didnt know of many other companies, like there are now and with such choice.

Quick! Sell it for a profit!
:eek:):

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I'd recommend along the same lines that Gary did. If your experience with blades is limited, get a Mora, Frost or otherwise and get a good feel for the scandi grind and how they will work for you. They are fairly easy to sharpen and are an excellent wood working blade. I've been using a couple of the Mora knives for awhile now and really like them. However, I do have my eye on a Bark River knife. Mike Stewart makes a beautiful blade that's as functional and well built as any out there and the price, at least on this side of the pond, is outstanding.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
With you all the way RA - i have a north star on order, seems my converstion to convex is now complete between that and the Svord I think I will have all options covered. :nana:

Question is if you find the best knife or knife combi what next? :shock:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Yep, billhooks mate ... the cutting power on those things us unbelievable! The blade is just perfectly shaped for cutting, chopping and splitting. It's also a knife for skinning and semi-fine work and even a shovel if needed. What really amazed me at the BCUK Meetup was that while we all worry about getting a shaving sharp edge on axes, Jack's billhooks weren't really sharp (because he hadn't sharpened them) but the cutting power was still there.

I have seen the light! I am converted!

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Adi007 said:
Yep, billhooks mate ... the cutting power on those things us unbelievable! The blade is just perfectly shaped for cutting, chopping and splitting. It's also a knife for skinning and semi-fine work and even a shovel if needed. What really amazed me at the BCUK Meetup was that while we all worry about getting a shaving sharp edge on axes, Jack's billhooks weren't really sharp (because he hadn't sharpened them) but the cutting power was still there.

I have seen the light! I am converted!
Yep,
The hook I have is an ancient cast steel job I picked up for next to nothing, as you say not that sharp (well nothing like my knife after a session with the sharpmaker) but still has huge cutting, chopping, splitting power.
Cheers
david

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Squidders said:
I think most of the compulsive buyers here have more than one knife :nana:
Too right Joe, BUT you'll need to pay an awful lot O.T.T. to win it onEbay
save enough to buy another decent knife by ordering one from Alan Wood and waiting a while. :eek:):

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
I paid about £230 for mine on evilbay and after recieving the Alan Wood Bushcrafter knife may be willing to sell it on for the same price so that I don't lose anything on what I paid. Let me know if you ever really really want one? I don't really want to sell it, but if I knew it would go to a good guy I may be convinced to sell it on.

I bought the knife as I just HAD to have this knife. It has been sharpened once (touch up) lightly used and of course being a knife owned by myself adds a certain celebrity value to the item! :rolmao: :wink:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I think thats being sold a member on this forum. I would certainly trust him, he's a nice guy. I emailed him telling him if for some reason no-one bidded on evilbay, i'd buy it for £200!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE