Alan Wood Knife on e-bay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
£400 and no picture - someone will buy it no doubt - proof if it were needed that theres one born every minute!

leon-1

At £400 I would hope that it's a case of buy one get one Ray Mears free :lol: .

God I know that there is a long lead time on the Woodlore knife, but I could never justify paying over double what it is worth just to get it a bit early :shock:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
God I know that there is a long lead time on the Woodlore knife, but I could never justify paying over double what it is worth just to get it a bit early
It is a custom and not a standard woodlore ..... its got a green micarta handle.... but still ..... £400 is a hell of a starting price, but someone will go for it I don't doubt.

Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I agree with you, I wouldn't pay £400 for it..... hey I could get Allan Wood himself to make me something cheaper!!!!! ...... but there are people with far too much spare cash that would go for it......

;-)
Ed

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
leon-1 said:
At £400 I would hope that it's a case of buy one get one Ray Mears free :lol: .

God I know that there is a long lead time on the Woodlore knife, but I could never justify paying over double what it is worth just to get it a bit early :shock:

It's not a woodlore knife, it's an Alan Wood custom. I think the guy is making reference to woodlore to capitalise on the association.

£400 is not unrealistic for a custom.

True custom knives - one of a kind, made for a single and specific customer - can retail from £100 to 10,000 (or even more).

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
leon-1 said:
Cheers Martyn, well that makes me feel a burk :oops:

Martyn have you any other details on it, I don't want to buy it, but it does interest me (is it damascus and what are the pins that sort of thing) :?:

No, there's no pic - I dont even know if it's a genuine sale. I certainly wouldn't bid on it. I do know though, that Alan Wood will not make woodlore knives, except to order through RM. So all the woodlore knives available are of the same materials and specification. It's something to do with the contract between Alan and ray. If you ask Alan to make you a woodlore knife directly, he'll refuse. He may offer to make you a similar "custom" knife, but it WILL be different to some extent.

£400 is expensive though, if it is a similar style knife to the woodlore - even for a custom that's a lot of money for not a lot of knife IMO.

Compare to these and remember that £400 is around $730 USD...

http://www.knifeart.com/by-price-500-1000.html

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
seller has zero feedback, everyone knows someone that has a digi camera so no good reason for no pic IMO. plus who has the kind on money to buy a custom like that but don't have a camera of their own anyway

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Andy said:
seller has zero feedback, everyone knows someone that has a digi camera so no good reason for no pic IMO. plus who has the kind on money to buy a custom like that but don't have a camera of their own anyway

Very true, it's also wrong in much of what it claims. It cant be a Ray mears knife, because Alan never made any with green micarta handles. The closest would be a "custom", made "similar" to a woodlore by Alan Wood, but then it would not be a woodlore and not a Ray mears knife. Either the seller is pulling a fast one, or he doesnt know what he spent his money on. Add to that the seemingly high price and lack of picture, together with 0 feedback and this definitely becomes one to avoid.

Besides, I very, very much doubt anyone in thier right mind, even a complete fool, would pay £400 for a woodlore - they're simply not a knife that can command that kind of money. They're not "that" much of a collectors item.

leon-1

Martyn, I have just had a look at the knives on that site. O.K. I can see why some people would pay that sort of money for the ones on there.

The materials are not always the easiest to work with and definitely not cheap, along with the work on finer detail.

This guy has got to be a nutter if he thinks that anyone is going to fork out that kind of money without something in the way of pictures that give authenticity to the knife and show its condition.

Along with the fact that the worksmanship would have to be of an extremely high standard and materials would have to be stated.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE