Alan Wood - Bushcrafter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
Ah... What does need have to do with collecting? :wink:

I did find myself thinking at the BCUK meeting why so many people were concerned about single or double bevels and other issues. If its razor sharp, easy to sharpen and holds a great edge... who cares? :) Who cares if it has a bit or rust or has scratches on the blade, if it works... who cares? :eek:):

Just make sure your edge is well set up and sharpened properly and the rest will follow! :naughty:

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Sorry for the delayed response guy's.
I asked Alan for a knife to the same spec as Martyn's except for a Thong Hole.
The scale material looks different but Alan assures me it's Rosewood root and as it a natural material obviously no two will be identical.
To be critical about the scales ,the 2 don't match in colour or grain and i as im very fussy i would have preferred the scales to be be from 1 piece of wood split with the grain matched ,but then again i am very fussy.
The sheath is buffalo hide and again looks different from Martyn's ,i was a little disappointed that it did not have the tab for securing the fire steel but as i have read that Martyn find's it a bit of a nuisance then perhaps it's better without it.
The sheath could have been a little rounder at the bottom ,more like the Woodlore to suit my taste but the belt loop is a much superior design and allows the sheath to move out of the way when you sit down.
I use these knives as EDC's and that feature is much improved over the Woodlore when getting in and out of vehicle's.
I have given it a little use this weekend ,a few feather sticks but mostly used in the kitchen and i have to say i find it very easy to use.

RB

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
rapidboy said:
To be critical about the scales ,the 2 don't match in colour or grain and i as im very fussy i would have preferred the scales to be be from 1 piece of wood split with the grain matched ,but then again i am very fussy.
That would bother me too .. and I'm not easily bothered

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I'm easier to please ... I'm happy if the scales don't warp and bust off! :eek:):

Although I may be becoming more picky!!!!!

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
If it was going to live in a case as part of a collection then i think it would annoy me but these are just tools to me and if they preform well then thats the most important thing.
RB

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Wayne, have you emailed Alan? We should both email him with same requests. Perhaps that would inspire him to get going on two new projects!

Cheers,

Jake

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

The bushcrafter looks like it's better for skinning... Is it?
It has a more beautiful handle IMO and so are the blade shape. :wink:

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
That's just what i was wondering Viking so i took the rapid7 out tonight and shot a few rabbit's to test it out :wink:

404_0454_1.jpg

I'm pleased to report the Bushcrafter preformed every bit as well as the Theoben.

404_0458_1.jpg

I haven't had a chance to do any carving with it yet but so far I prefer it to the Woodlore ,although it's got me thinking about a Woodlore with a tapered tang to liven it up a bit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE