Al Mar SERE 2000

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I'm in the market for a folding knife for using every day ( EDC) for a variety of cutting tasks.

The Al Mar SERE 2000 would seem to fit the bill so I was wondering if anybody could provide me with some info on what it's actually like?

Cheers

John

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Adi has one. It is a pretty big knife for EDC. It locks, which makes it illegal unless you have "good reason" and I am certain that the blade is over the 3" max length too, which really doesn't matter much seeing as it locks anyway.

So, as EDC, probably not great. As a solid work knife for the woods, it might not be bad. The handle is pretty comfortable compared to a lot of knives, and secure too. I don't like the blade shape much, but that is taste.

Hope that Adi can give some advice. I am sure that there must be some info on places like www.bladeforums.com.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Chris,

Thanks for the reply and info about locking and blade length. Fortunately as I dont live in the UK any longer that won't apply. :wink:
I am wondering how well made it is. As basically I just want to spend on one locking folder that will last.

Sadly my budget doesn't run to a Sebenza!

Cheers

John

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I have the Sere 2000 and love it!

I would list it as one of my top 5 favourite folding knives, along with the Sebenza, my Microtech LCC, Buck Mayo TNT and Benchmade 805.

The Sere 2000 is built like a tank. With VG-10 steel and a solid lock it will do almost any job you throw at it. The manufacturing quality is very good, little to no blade play and smooth action. It doesn't quite make the standard of the Sebenza, but for the money, this is a great knife. The only other knife in my list that would compare in strength, quality and price is the Benchmade 805. With the AXIS lock it is very strong and just also a great allround knife.

With any folder, you will have to realise that it is just that....'a folder' and for serious whittling or prying, you should really use a fixed blade, but if you don't have one of those around at the time, the Sere 2000 will serve you well.

Go for it, you will not be sorry!

Lennart

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
The Al Mar SERE 2000 is by far the best folding knife that I have - the combination of VG-10 steel, G-10 handle and superb engineering makes it an knife to use. The blade really is strong and holds an edge for a long time and is easily resharpened.
I really can't fault the lock either - all the tests I've carried out on it show it to be strong and reliable. The opening, locking and closing actions are smooth and well engineered.
Drawbacks - well, a locking blade over 3 inch makes it an iffy EDC and it's a bit weighty. The clip on the handle can feel like it gets int he way a bit and the thumbstuds bother some people (I can't say that they bother me). The blade shape is not everybody's cup of tea but again I have no complaints as it does everything that I've asked for it.
All in all, you get a LOT of knife for the money and the build quality far exceeds anything I've seen from many other makers.

B

Bex

If you want a smaller option you could try the Nomad. I've had one since January and can highly recommend it, with the one proviso that I dont think the handle would suit someone with large hands.

http://www.almarknives.com/

Jul 5, 2004
I agree with Adi & Ducky, it has ben one of my EDC for a couple of years. I removed the pocket clip and have it in a parallel to the belt sheath. The clip and thumbstuds would tear my jeans pocket. The knife I carry when the Sere stays home is a Benchmade McHenry/Williams, love that axis lock!

Lately, I have also carried a Fallkniven U2, small but with the laminated powder steel, wow, sharp! :shock:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE