ajungilak 1200 sleeping bag. Have I been sold a pup?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I spotted what I thought was an army arctic sleeping bag at my local boot sale. The seller explained that it was not an army bag but was her husbands Ajungilak bag used 20 odd years ago when he did mountain climbing. She also described it as a down bag (which it wasn't) so I don't think anything she said was necessarily reliable. As she asked what seemed like a fair price for it I took a chance and bought it. Now that I have it at home I have noticed two things. It is clearly nearer to 30 years old than 20 and it packs down into a remarkably small size which makes me wonder if it could be used as even a three season bag never mind four season. The filling is Dacron 88 and is pretty lofty once allowed to plump up a bit. Condition wise the bag is almost perfect. Does anyone know much about this bag or have any advice to offer?

jiffi

Nomad
Jun 24, 2010
Castle Douglas, Scotland
Don't know that one but I have a kompact 3000 winter which I went snow holing in -18 and slept in just my boxers in it on a thermarest and had to open it a bit to vent so I will vouch for the brand not sure on the model if you email mammut they will help you as they own anjungilak!

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I have a couple of Ajungilak Kompact summer bags that pack down to approx. 8" x 8" in a compression sack, I also have a Kompact Autmn one as well which packs to almost the same size. If I remember correctly it is rated to -5 deg. I have used in in the woods in winter with a bivvi bag when it has been a couple of degrees below freezing, and I was very comfortable.
As jiffi says they are a very good brand, and if you didn't pay too much for it then have a good bag.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Been to find my 'Autumn' sleeping bag. It's not ! it is called a Kompact 'Spring' it packs down to approx. 8" dia x 10" long . and is rated to -7 degrees C. It weighs 1150 grams. And is a 3 season bag.

I think the 1200 in your bag refers to the weight of it, (weigh it & check). Bearing that in mind and comparing it to mine I would say that you have a 3 season bag. I would imagine that would cope with our British winter's unless you are planning on some Scottish mountaineering trips.

I hope I have been of some help.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i still have one of the pre-kompact bags, one i nicked of my dad years ago. Does yours have the shiney fabric on the outside? they really are bomb proof bags, maybe not as warm as a modern one but have used it in snow caves in the cairngorms and been very comfy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE