Air weapon license in Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Hi all,

Looking to get back into air rifle shooting after a few years away from it.

I have printed off and filled out the application form for the license and I am about to send it off.

Just wondering if anyone out there has the license already?

How long does it take to come through?

Do the police visit your home?

I don't have a criminal record, and I have permission to shoot on a friend's farm.

Any information would be appreciated

Kind regards,
Allan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Allan, there's a club at Dechmont. Once your licence comes through, it's a good place to make contact and get information from folks. Maybe there's someone who'd be happy to talk to you beforehand about the process too.

dechmontarpc.co.uk

M

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Allan, there's a club at Dechmont. Once your licence comes through, it's a good place to make contact and get information from folks. Maybe there's someone who'd be happy to talk to you beforehand about the process too.

dechmontarpc.co.uk

M
Hi Toddy,

Yeah I've been looking online for info on clubs in the area, and Dechmont would be the closest (I'm in East Kilbride).

Will definitely pay them a visit when I get my license and rifle

Thanks for the info

Allan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My next door neighbour's a member, that's how I knew of them. Someone else on here asked me recently about the same questions you have, and I've pretty much just said what my neighbour told me. We're in Bothwell/Uddingston, and Dechmont's the local club for folks here too.
There's another club up by Quarter, http://www.clydevalleypistolclub.org.uk
They get a good rep as well.

M

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
That club is a good one with people who be only to happy to help you with the application process if any difficulty drop me a line.If as you say you have no issues you only need a place to shoot.I'm not going to bet political here but bovine bi produce springs to mind.wait for backlash.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It maybe a pedantic point but probably not a good idea to refer to it to the police as a ' Weapon ' ( unless your initial post was in jest? ) as it infers its use is for harm to another Human being.

Good luck!!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The legal term used in Scotland is Air Weapon - Air Weapons and Licensing (Scotland) Act 2015

They list all air guns as weapons and under the weapons list (general and might not need a license) are things like slingshots, bow & Arrow and even toy guns...

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That makes my head hurt.

Still, call it what it is and make the Fuzz do the translation.
If asked, I'd say only that I want to be as clear and precise as I can.

Here, the regs depend on projectile mass and speed.
My air cannons are 2" x 24" barrels , so slow, you can watch the flight.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You should see the hoops one of my friends has to go through for a cannon :D He's got a licence for a ton of black powder a year now though :D

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If I dropped $2,000+ on a Feinwerkbau air pistol, that's what I will always call it.
Running Game is air rifle still, I think.

I can buy black powder as a federally licensed pyrotechnician and as a hunter. Many uses beyond real cannons.
Getting a Pyro Tag was a lot of classroom and practical (and money) and crew experience.
Two kinds here: commercial fireworks displays and TV/Movies (aka Theatrical.) I have tags for both.

My cannons run on compressed air. I rent an air or nitrogen tank at 3000psi and run that down to 200psi or less for function.
That gets me into all kinds of venues that BP never would.
The others run on air & propane (electric triggers) and I get dirty looks with those.

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
They don't seem to have addressed the cross border issues very well.
If I wanted to go up to Scotland with a sub 12ft-lb airgun, I have to get a visitors certificate. Even though I have UK issues FAC/SGC.
It would make more sense to automatically give airgun permissions to all licence holders by default.

I could ask the local plod to put my airgun on the FAC, I suppose.
Though I exepct that is is just the thin end of the wedge and the whole UK will go over to airguns on licenc in the not to distant future. Which will probably break the already faultering firearms licencing depts.

Cannon....
Under a certain bore size, are they not classed as shotguns? In which case, you don't have to justify a need. Or get specific permission (if you have a SGC already).
We have a miniature cannon section at our club. But these are firing 1/2" ball, from what is effectivly a mantlepiece ornament.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE