Air Show Spoons

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ive enjoyed a day of sitting outside in the garden, whittling spoons and watching our local air show, although, i do have to add that the spoon carving was, in the main a lot more interesting than the air show, which seems to get worse year on year, although the entrance cost seems to go up and up.

There are a few good things in the show, today we had two RAF Tornado's, a RAF Hawk and a great display by the Vulcan (XH558) and the Memorial Flight, but apart from watching those displays, ive spent most of my time whittling away, with just an odd glance skywards to see what is up and displaying.

DSCN8604.jpg

Pictured are just a few of the spoons ive finished from a previously made blank or made fresh, from left to right they are Birch, Willow and the white ones are both Hazel.

Hazel

DSCN8593.jpg

DSCN8587.jpg

Willow

DSCN8591.jpg

Birch

DSCN8589.jpg

Still need to refine the shapes and the finish when the spoons have dried out a little.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Great stuff mate, just been reading the post on your blog :) I like the spalting line in the willow handle :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers guys, the Willow is lovely, and looking at the end grain in the rest of it in the wood pile, there could well be some more like that there:)

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Nice stuff as always, I made a start on a monster of a spoon from the same willow source today, I'll bring it along on one of out days out, we could use it to play rounders, especially if it is carp.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Oh they are nice....went looking for some birch today without sucess....however I was surrounded by coppiced hazel ....and never thought to try it :p

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I like the willow - but the birch has the nicest lines :)

Need one about 24" long for stirring homebrew and bee syrup - I'm tired of burning my fingers!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
@Hugo - i used to like playing rounders, but if you do it right, we can play Stoolball instead

@Swotty - Hazel is lovely stuff to carve, think it's my most used wood, mainly because of the amount of it around here

@Red - 24" you say, Ummm, i have a cunning plan;)

@IanM - i have some spurtles i made a while ago around here somewhere, not 24" long though, think it's time to build a new lathe:)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
...that willow one....its lovely....i just keep on looking at it....gorgeous!

dude youre getting boring....how about putting something really rough on here and pretending that you think its really good just to keep me motivated?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
dude youre getting boring....how about putting something really rough on here and pretending that you think its really good just to keep me motivated?

Your wish is my command, but i want alphabetti spaghetti when i come round yours now:lmao:

Roughed out blanks, the willow one is the one in the middle:)

DSCN8483.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
@Red - 24" you say, Ummm, i have a cunning plan;)

Its the sizes I am working with now :(

Had to borrow a pan off the neighbours recently - my 17 litre stockpot was nowhere near big enough. The kind lady gave me a pan that hols 35 litres, but a couple of Army surplus places are looking for something larger for me !

The little one you sent is now my perfect chutney making spoon - but it fails when we start measuring in gallons!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
@Southey - cheers mate

@Red - Keep you posted on my idea, not sure it will work, but it's worth a try:)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
deal...i'll even chuck in a farleys rusk if you put something even as low as above average on here!!! lol....

dunno if you read my write-up about the wilderness gathering last week m8....(youve got a mention in it!).....bardster spent hours with mrs a and steve teaching them carving....shes been gettin it out of the fridge most days and doin a bit more on her spoon....looking good so far (dont tell her i gave her a compliment lol!)....and she keeps givin it large cos i've not yet got round to it lol

i will...i will....just waitin for my wave....

a

ps...i'm now oiling the firesteels i posted in the diy section...using danish oil for first time...nice stuff eh!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
deal...i'll even chuck in a farleys rusk if you put something even as low as above average on here!!! lol....

dunno if you read my write-up about the wilderness gathering last week m8....(youve got a mention in it!).....bardster spent hours with mrs a and steve teaching them carving....shes been gettin it out of the fridge most days and doin a bit more on her spoon....looking good so far (dont tell her i gave her a compliment lol!)....and she keeps givin it large cos i've not yet got round to it lol

i will...i will....just waitin for my wave....

a

ps...i'm now oiling the firesteels i posted in the diy section...using danish oil for first time...nice stuff eh!

Farleys Rusks - yum yum yum:bigok:

Nope, im afraid i missed that write up, gis a link for it, also missed the fire steels, just off for a peek now:sulkoff:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE