Air Rifle shooting permission

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Hi

Does anyone have any tips on how best to get permission to shoot on land with an air rifle. I am about to send out letters to local farmers, golf clubs and stable but was wondering if anyone had a standard letter especially with regards to liability, in other words signing something which puts all responsibilty onto me and not the land owner.
Any tips, or experiences on how best to get land would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Michael

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I would have to recomend that you go in person . I live in Dorset andd there are lots of farms and smallholdings round here , the only problem is finding one where somebody is not already shooting their vermin . Be polite and honest , even offer first choice of rabbit (prepared if they cant do it) . Do say that you accept all responsibility and learn what regulations you apply to each place you try , it may affect what direction you can shoot etc .
Good luck and happy shooting
Pumbaa

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I agree with pumbaa, go dressed smartly also not in your cammo's lol, also ask for the game keeper on your local shoots and get in doing some beating for the shoot you can get some good shooting places that way.

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
If you havn't already done it join the British Association for Shooting and Conservation. That shows you're a bit more responsible than alot of people and are willing to put something into it. Also they will have codes of conduct etc that you can use in any written agreement with landowners.

Talk to as many people as you can, try to help them so they owe you a favour, even if they havn't got land they might know someone who has and will say you're OK.

Put an Ad in one of the free-ad papers for your 'pest control' services, it doesn't cost anything and might give you the first bit of shooting

You'll probably find that once you've proved yourself to one farmer they will be willing to reccomend you to others.

I don't do airgun shooting at the moment but these suggestions are adapted from the ways I get permission to do metal detecting. In both cases you're trying to convince someone that they should let you onto their land to do something and take something so they need to see some benefit. Maybe go for rat control before rabbit and pidgeons, so you're helping them and it gives you a chance to prove yourself without trading on the toes of rough shooters with shotguns.

Keep trying, don't pester the same farmer but you might need to approach 20 or 30 before you get one that lets you do any shooting.

Hope you find something of use in this advice
:rolmao:

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Thanks all so far, i had thought the letter approach might be better as i would be a bit taken aback by someone coming to my door asking to shoot on land that i owned.....if only i had some :cry: .
I did approach the farmer on the land my club shoots and he gave me permission to shot on another farm he rents so things are looking up. I definetly think it is who you know that counts in getting permission. I am going to keep trying, another couple of areas should be all i need and keep me busy.
Thanks again

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
mmcniven said:
i had thought the letter approach might be better as i would be a bit taken aback by someone coming to my door asking to shoot on land that i owned.....if only i had some :cry: .

yeh.. but i think you would be less likely to say yes if you got a letter out of the blue from someone asking if they can bring a gun over to your place and shoot some stuff!

Furface

Jan 13, 2005
Gloucester
If you get the oportunity, find out what the owner considers vermin. Rough shooters might be paying him for the privelige to shoot rabbits and pigeons, but not squirrels (grey only), or rats, crows and magpies.

Lots of farmers don't trust airguns, though many don't know why. Don't take it personally. It's because an airgun pellet can travel further than birdshot and there are tales of pellets travelling beyond the intended quarry and embedding itself into livestock. If possible educate them and assure you would only shoot responsibly with a backstop or to ground, and nowhere near livestock.

Best of luck :biggthump

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I found that people with market gardens (not under cover though) were pretty helpfull as it was in their best interests to keep vermin down.

Donkeys years since I did it though.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Get some insurance by joining the BASC or the SACS .
It's one of the first thing's i mention to land owners and shows your a responsible individual.

Hi.
as above, you should join a shooting organisation, like BASC which has a seperate Airgun section. Also, if possible, look for a Rifle club and see if you can join that. they will either have land that members have shooting rights over or at least a shooting range. They will also know lots of like minded people who will be able to give you an introduction. There is also a particular sport known a Field Target shooting. Check out some of the links at www.airgunbuyer.com for details of some clubs and good airgun bits and pieces.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Mmcniven,
I'll add my endorsement of the advice already given, insurance is a must, as is a positive outlook. Look for particular problems that show you have an observant eye - rabbit damage in fields, rat droppings near the feed store etc.
This time of year should be a bit quieter than others, lambing finished, hay cut and in the barns - hence its the time of year for many of the agricultural shows. So now might be the time to put the miles in to visit the farmers that you've written to in the past. Be prepared for a lot of put-downs, but stay positive and thank the farmer for his time, he might be let down by someone else in the future when you can step in. Once you've got some land, its easier to get more.
Many shooters say its hard work and disheartening trying to get your first permission, but keep trying, its worth it in the end - and you'll value it more than gold when you get it.

All the best.

Ogri the trog

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Here is what i would suggest
Dont write a letter , knock up some business cards (mine are post card sized so they dont get lost !) . Go and see the land owner , explain what you are after and that you are insured (i am with BASA , covered for £2 mil , but may get aditional insurance due to more recognisable names) . Give them a card and leave them to ponder (it makes them feel they are losing out on your free services ) .
I have recently tried a place where i used to work (bearing inmind i didnt exactly behave at that job ) the bloke is currantly considering letting me shot there ! I think the step into responsibility defionately helps , and the more membership details you can get on your business cards will definately help .
Hope this helps
Pumbaa

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I explained on paper with photocopies= who I am, where I lived and what I did for a job.
What my club affiliations (and insurance) consist of, what shooting qualifications I have earned (competitions, range officer, etc.).
What my hunting/shooting intentions were to be on their land. No guesswork.

With hindsight, I can't tell you if the paper was the clincher or not. It worked. Maybe it was just the clear effort to reveal my plans?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You can't go home. I thought that I could delete my post. Then I thought, no.
Then, I thought: "No, the information is just as important for new people as it was a decade ago.
It's all about being civil and diplomatic and friendly and neighbourly.
Friday night was Ruffed grouse (like the Red Grouse of NYorks), Saturday was elk. Tonight is bison.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE