Air rifle question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
There is always a calibre debate with air rifles...
Some people like the punch of a .22 (great for "tough" quarry like squirrels and rats - but far less forgiving with ranging errors).
A rabbit (or any bird) will drop like a stone with a well placed .177 pellet, and because the pellet is travelling that much faster, you have a flatter trajectory and thus have a far better chance of hitting what you're aiming at over various ranges.
I would say that 50 yds is the extreme end of the range for a .177 (and don't even go there with a .22). Whatever rifle you buy - zero to about 35 yds .177 or about 25 yds .22 and practice, practice, practice.
Just to add another ingredient to the stew...I shoot a light weight .20 pellet - great for both rabbits and grey squirrels, and flat from 15 - 35 yds.
Good luck!

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Don't forget the .25 which I use ;-)

I also have .22 and a few .177 for the scouts to use (my assistant leader is our resident instructor which helps)
For a cheap rifle new the SMK Syntarg is actually a very nice bit of cheap kit available in both .177 and .22 it's light and works well.
My scouts prefer the syntarg and is the rifle of choice and at around £80+ gives you some space to put towards a scope, it is designed more for the younger shooter but I can use it comfortably and the stability when firing is stunning as it fires more like an artilery gun so recoil is horizontal rather than a kick.
Otherwise secondhand market can be worth looking at.

I would avoid CO2 as there is an ongoing cost, pneumatics will generally be out of your price range plus again its the cost of charging the reservoir.
Springs will always give more sound by design so can alert your quarry.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'd recommend a .22 or even a .20 if you could get one. I'd avoid a .177 springer if your just starting out. Easy to shoot in PCP form but pretty harsh and unforgiving in springer form. This is because more force is needed to be generated from the spring to throw the pellet upto 12ft/lbs, making the recoil much harsher than a .22. As a beginner your not going to be shooting at ranges where the flatter trajectory will make much difference. upto 30 yard, there aint really much noticable differece between .177 and .22. If you can, its better to hold out and try pick up a used Weirauch or Air arms springer, neither of these will let you down. :)

For £100 you might get a used BSA Lightning, these aint too bad a gun, not as well built as the ones listed above, but they will do the job.

Thanks for the advice i think im going to get myself a 2nd hand springer for now cheap to practice with and save up while im doing so to eventually buy a decent one.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Mar 14, 2012
uk
try eithr the bsa super sport (my mate has this) although i havent shot a rabbit or anything with this but from target shooting with it i am certain it could easly kill rats,rabbits,crows,piddeons and squerrels! or try the cross man phantom (my brother has it) i have shot maybe a dozen rabbits about 5 squerrels and a few rats with it but i would of shot more if i was a slightly better shot and i didnt go to school!
hope this helped
Thanks Ed

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I was taught on iron sights and only moved up to a scope when I could hit a target reliably with the irons, so don't go right out and buy a expensive scope an rifle combo just yet. I don't know if it's still made but Webbly used to make a nice rifle for around £100 called the Exocet I used one for most of my rabbit control work years ago.

Also avoid the cheep £20 - £30 china job's like the plague they have in my experience a lack of consistent power output one shot it's firing at 9ftlbs then 10 then 12 then right down to 9.

At the other end of the spectrum don't be tempted to go out and buy a £500 rifle from the get go, while they are miles ahead in quality ask yourself this, If your just starting off driving you don't go out and buy a Lamborghini diablo you go out and buy a reliable little mini and over time when your skill gets better and you have some experience of cars you go out and get that sports car.

Just some advice to ponder.

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
With a budget like that it will force the basics issue which is a good thing like other post learn the art of both shooting and stalking your pray .iv a daystate and tbh it's not as fun as my hw45 pistol I use for vermin .enjoy the journey

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE