Air rifle help and advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I had a couple of AEG scopes when I bought a couple of rifles, 4X40 IIRC, On my springer I had a3-9X40, but rarely went above 4X.

My current rifles have an AEG 3-9X40 with mil-dot and the CO2 has a 3-9X50 but I leave it at 3X as I am only working at ranges of about 35mtrs for taking out my rabbits for the pot, even standing.

Unfortunately more rifles only come without "iron" sights these days, but I did manage to source some for adding later.

I also have a BSA Meteor with a 4X32 scope, which is good at 25mtrs.

If you are hoping to take a rabbit at 40mtrs with a spring rifle I would advise a scope as the shot placement is going to need to be good, so a 4X32 would suffice.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
As an alternative to a scope or iron sights i use something similar to this on my BSA lightening -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-Conte...gSports_ET&hash=item2a3759cc11#ht_4109wt_1974

No affiliation etc... but can be zero'd to a couple of yards (taking out squirrels in the loft) to as far out as you like but around 25-30 yards is my limit to be accurate with pellets as opposed to live rounds.

The big benefit over a scope, for me at least, is there is unlimited eye relief so no matter how you position your head/eye provided you can see the dot you will hit your target, you can also shoot with both eyes open.

As for pellets as has already been said try a few different brands and see what works for you, quite a lot of online retailers sell tester packs of pellets with a small sample of several types (in bags of 10 or 20) so you can try a varied range cheaply before forking out on tins of 500.

I used to shoot at a club when i only had a motorbike and found something like this was ideal as it slightly disguised what i was carrying, its just a case of getting the straps in a comfortable confirguration, again no affiliation with seller -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2m-hunt...Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item27d7139798

All the best, Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Thanks Hamster
Some good thoughts and info there, especially the bag (as long as its not too long on my back)

No worries, I found slinging it across at a diagonal was best for me though you can use the carrying handles as rucksack straps if you pad them out a bit but depending on the length of your rifle it can hang a bit low.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
To be honest your transporting an air rifle. You said you shoot target rifles too. So do I and I just use one decent solid hard case to transport of all my guns. Cost me £40 and it's worth it's weight in gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Yea fair one. In that case go for something moderately cheap. Really try not to go for a "fleece lined" as they just hold moisture and really damage the bluing if your not careful. That's from experience esp from regular changes in temperature. Other then that try and spend the money of a good scope. My old s300 has a hawke Airmax. It's a pretty good scope with the map6 recticle. Just needs a brc (ballistic reticle calculator) and some calculations to get it to work at its optimum performance. But if you do it right you can get it to work out as far as 100 yards and be fairly spot on still. I've taken bunnies down at 100 yards with it and been on the ball in moderate weather conditions. And for £68 it's a lot of scope for the money and will be just as good as the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Thanks again for all the help guys. My new Hawke scope arrived today and I took it out in the garden to let some pellets through it. Very happy indeed.
Just ordered a slip and some pellet test packs too!

Only thing is that you can't engage the safety manually- it does it when you cock it, which means you cant have it uncocked and safe :/ bit odd

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Thanks again for all the help guys. My new Hawke scope arrived today and I took it out in the garden to let some pellets through it. Very happy indeed.
Just ordered a slip and some pellet test packs too!

Only thing is that you can't engage the safety manually- it does it when you cock it, which means you cant have it uncocked and safe :/ bit odd

Surely if it is "Un-cocked" it is safe... Only when it is cocked does it start to become "Un-safe", it is truly un-safe once a pellet is in the barrel and the barrel closed and the safety in the off position.

Can you re-set the safety if you don't take the shot and want to move location?

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Surely if it is "Un-cocked" it is safe... Only when it is cocked does it start to become "Un-safe", it is truly un-safe once a pellet is in the barrel and the barrel closed and the safety in the off position.

Can you re-set the safety if you don't take the shot and want to move location?
Yea that's the problem. As far as I can tell, you can't re-engage the safety once its been cocked and released.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Have you a photo of the mechanism?

Maybe just break the barrel again and it will re-set it, a bit of a faff, but it usually works.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Once its cocked, breaking the barrel again obviously doesn't compress the spring so it doesn't re-engage the safety. Not much to show you in a picture without taking it apart.

You pull the under lever down all the way, at which point the spring is fully compressed, and it locks open (and engages bear trap) and engages the safety. You then load and push the lever back up to close the breach, press the safety (its just a small button on the top of the stock, approximately above the trigger) and fire

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
For transport, buy a fishing rod hold all, they will fit better to carry on the bike and secondly people will not give it a second glance, opposed to a gun bag and avoid awkward situations. People see gun bag, think terrorist and I don't jest, they always think the worst, I have a friend who does this and it has stopped a lot of funny looks when he gets on the bus.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
For transport, buy a fishing rod hold all, they will fit better to carry on the bike and secondly people will not give it a second glance, opposed to a gun bag and avoid awkward situations. People see gun bag, think terrorist and I don't jest, they always think the worst, I have a friend who does this and it has stopped a lot of funny looks when he gets on the bus.

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought a fishing rod bag fitted into the carried in a "securely-fastened gun case" which is the normal wording for having one in a public place.

But I suppose as long as it is a secure bag then it should be OK.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE