Air guns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ricky369

May 11, 2009
NI - Co. Tyrone
Hi,

I know that in northen ireland to buy an air gun you have to go through a lengthy process of forms to fill in a a lump sum for them to process the form. Also it takes a few months.

In england to own an air gun you need to be 14? With no forms or anything

Im moving to england next year (liverpool) for university, and is it legal for me to purchase an air gun. Also would i need a gun cabin?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
You'll need to do a lot more research closer to the time Ricky,
Not only to find out if you'll be allowed to store it on campus, but the law is changing all the time.
Air Gnu's (spelling intentional so works word filter doesn't throw a fit) are classed as unregistered fire arms that do not (currently) require a licence, but who knows what they'll be next year.
Also be aware that you'll need written permission if you intend to take prey on land - otherwise it is classed as "Armed trespass".
Obtaining and using an air gnu can be a legal minefield on its own without even considering any moral issues.

ATB, HTH

Ogri the trog

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
i dont think its too much of a gamble to say there's no way they'll let you store it on campus. - maybe wait till you move to a private house.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
I dont think that I have come across restrictions on keeping anything non-fac on a campus. Saying that, you might want to be able to lock it away to save abuse.

I would check with the uni - but you would probably be better off waiting until you get some more private digs.

The laws over here keep getting tweaked. Another change will see yet more unlicenced gnus vanishing into nowhere. If they dont exist on paper then they can't do any harm.....right?

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Many universities have target shooting clubs and Liverpool is no exception. I suggest you join there; you will get access to a range, access to experienced shooters and you can probably store your air rifle in their armory if they're amenable (many are).

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The laws concerning the purchase of guns and ammunition are as follows:-

Any person under the age of 14 years of age may not purchase or own guns or ammunition.

Persons aged between 14 and 17 years may not purchase guns or ammunition but may borrow or have them purchased on their behalf by some one over 17 years of age.

Persons over the age of 17 years may purchase guns and ammunition, the guns having a power less than the UK legal limit. Guns over that limit require a fire arms certificate to be granted before they can be owned.

taken from here

As far as I know only firearms requiring a FAC need to be stored in an approved safe cabinet, air guns are okay without.
If you're carrying it in a public place it should be inside a case at all times.
Only shoot on land with the owners permission like Ogri said.
Use it sensibly and legally and you should be okay.

Not sure about Uni though, probably best to make some phone calls.

Ricky369

May 11, 2009
NI - Co. Tyrone
Yeah i will check that all out. Thanks for you help

I knew about the permission. Good idea to check with the university and see what they say. Will prob do that when i get there

Even if they dont require a cabin i wouldnt be too happy with leave it about.

Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE