air bed query?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
Having suffered many uncomfortable nights wild camping with my self inflating mat(cheapo karrimor 2.5cm thick),i was wondering if a cheapo airbed with some sort of decent insulation underneath would give me a better nights sleep,and before anyone says you get what you pay for i know my bed is crap,i was poor as a student and not much better off now.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You'd do better having the self inflating mat on top of the airbed.

Reason being an airbed is great there's a lot of air mass that has to be warmed up by you which the mat will insulate you against.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea

Reason being an airbed is great there's a lot of air mass that has to be warmed up by you which the mat will insulate you against.

Exactly......

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I never would have thought of that, but it makes perfect sense ! I agree 100%

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Airmattresses are great if space and weight isnt an issue. I use them for family camping. I put space blankets ontop of them, then a blanket then a sleepingbag- TOASTY!!! lol

Cheers
Ness :)

antzy

Sep 8, 2010
Dorset
I've a good airbed for the family camping and I have to say that I get more sleep on a mat, the airbeds just shift around too much and are more prone to punctures. Given the cold air bit I have to say that I would just spend the money on a better mat.

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
i have had my eye on a roll of thin foil insulation from b+q,was going to try it under a airbed,but im now going to give the over the top technique a go

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I often use an inflatable mattress (not a self-inflator).
Rather than one of the big and heavy flock-covered family camping mattresses I use one of those light-weight hiker's mattresses - the ones that look a bit like a lilo. They roll up no bigger than a bog roll.
To stop it getting punctured I put one of those fold-up German army kip mats underneath it. As well as saving it from puncturing it also acts as a layer of insulation from the ground.
Mind you, I also have a hammock as well now...

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
I've just got a couple of the Dozers from Alpkit - well impressed for £40. I'm camping in Dec & I'll just put a cheapo foam jobby underneath.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Buy an airbed and in winter put a cell foam mat on top to insulate you, very comfy :) You can put some little strips of self adhesive velcro on the airbed and foam mat to stop shift. To be honest I only car camp and there is no way in a million years I'd go back to a thermarest now.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Flipping heck. That's the expensive way of doing it.
Or you could get one from either Blacks or Argos for just £10.

Depends what you want really... i doubt argos/blacks even comes close to the spec. we are talking thermally efficient matress, not lie-lo's for the kids down the beach.

So i assume its a bit 'nippy' and whats £40 and the cost of a good bag to be able to sleep comfortably?

TBL.

Last edited:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Depends what you want really... i doubt argos/blacks even comes close to the spec. we are talking thermally efficient matress, not lie-lo's for the kids down the beach.

So i assume its a bit 'nippy' and whats £40 and the cost of a good bag to be able to sleep comfortably.

TBL.

True enough.
But I don't have a lilo. I have a hiker's mattress like the Alpkit one (I described it as a lilo because of the tubes, not because it IS a lilo).
I've had my Blacks version for years and always been warm and comfy on it. Never had a puncture. Never had problems. And it cost me ten quid. Feel free to spend £40 if you want...

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
try an exped downmat 7 with the integral pump in 3/4 length for £49 from nordic outdoors. That is a steal for a 7cm thick airbed (longitudinal tubes which is more stable than the neo air horizontal ones) with down in the tubes. Tough skin too. It is good to -24C so you will be warmer in winter. BTW a very good mat like the exped can effectively turn a lower rated sleeping bag into a higher one in winter. I've heard that in winter you will lose heat as much through the ground so a very good mat will be a lot warmer. At £49 and 660g or so it is eminently packable. The shorter lenght might be a problem but with a pillow such as a dry bag with clothes in for the head you will probably only have your legs from your knees down not on the mat. The rucksack will be good for that rea which needs less insulation nyway. I~ am 196cm and the 120cm length is down to my knees.

A normal air mat would need anothere mat on tip to insulate you from the airmat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE