Age Test: What Is This?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
10665095_1006408019370159_1321441058825859063_n.jpg

Bonus points if you've ever used one.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ancient Punic head and nose armour for Hannibals lesser known pygmy elephant attack squad.

(Or an oil spout):eek:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Could've done with them for Party 7s.

(Mary; you might get a better idea if you rotate the image 90deg. clockwise)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I met someone the other day who didn't know what a church key was for :( ( the oil can spike brought that to mind)

Saddens me.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I met someone the other day who didn't know what a church key was for :( ( the oil can spike brought that to mind)

Saddens me.

There was a show on TV the last month or so about a family would had to live through the various decades from the 50's on. The mother in the family (despite being 40+) didn't know how to work a manual (non mechanical) tin opener. I watched with open mouth disbelief.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
There was a show on TV the last month or so about a family would had to live through the various decades from the 50's on. The mother in the family (despite being 40+) didn't know how to work a manual (non mechanical) tin opener. I watched with open mouth disbelief.

Yeah, I saw that as well. Absolutely shocking. Mind you, if you don't know something, then you don't know it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought a new potato peeler and I can' t use it :yikes: Awkward, crude damned thing.
I bought another one, a 'reproduction Lincolnshire peeler' and am tempted to buy another so I have it to see me out :)

M

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
"see me out", please! My Granny would say that if it was suggested she buy a new coat and she could only have been in her sixties!

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I bought a new potato peeler and I can' t use it :yikes: Awkward, crude damned thing.
I bought another one, a 'reproduction Lincolnshire peeler' and am tempted to buy another so I have it to see me out :)

M

I'm afraid I love my speed peeler - can't be doing with those old fashioned ones.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

M
Having flashbacks to the hours spent on a Sunday night as a kid peeling tatties for the week to keep in a water filled tub in the fridge with one of these...
large_SwivelPotatoPeeler.jpg

Still have it in the drawer at home though I tend not to peel my tatties so much now. (I like the skin).:eek:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

M

I break the modern ones, they are just not built to last.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They peel of huge great thick slabs of the skin too. I wanted one that peeled thin and fine and accurately, with a neat wee tip for taking out eyes.

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
They peel of huge great thick slabs of the skin too. I wanted one that peeled thin and fine and accurately, with a neat wee tip for taking out eyes.

M
Also handy for making "spaghetti" out of things like courgettes and carrots if someone gluten free is coming for an Italian meal at the house. Very nice.

K813ZRA

May 1, 2015
Spain

M

You could use the back of a cheap ikea (kitchen) utility knife to shave potatoes and carrots as you would shave tinder. It doesn't work so well on cucumbers, though. Peels it nice and thin.

Living in the city I have to practice my bushcraft skills on chopsticks and veggies. :lmao:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...You could use the back of a cheap ikea (kitchen) utility knife to shave potatoes and carrots as you would shave tinder. It doesn't work so well on cucumbers, though. Peels it nice and thin..."

Hereabouts folks often boil their tatties (potatoes) in their skins and then peel just the skin off with the back of a butter knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE