fairy ring champignon?
CCC10.jpg

CCC9.jpg

cheers

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Top one is a Blusher - Amanita Rubescens.

I reckon you are right on the second - likely Russula Atropurpurea as they favour Oak (leaves in the pic) & Beech, not too sure about the last one, if you found it in grassland then probably.

Nice photos.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
nice one hedgehog, just done a quick google think your spot on about the amanita rubescens and the russula atropurpurea, yes the last one was collected in grassland, so should be fairy ring :)

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Aye good catch all round! interesting to see a blusher that close, don't get any Amanita's near me see the slugs like em tho :D

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
yeh the slugs had got to the top one! The only reason I saw these was because I had taken a different path through my local woods- I havnt seen these species around here before, seems a lot of the fungi are just beyond the beaten track.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Some places round here we get loads of Blushers, they are edible when cooked, apparently popular in Victorian times. I've seen plenty but never tried them.

Did you eat any of these?

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
boiling them in water removes the ibotenic acid which is found in many varieties of Amanita, remember to throw the water away and rinse thoroughly!
i'd still not recomend it tbh but i am of the cautious nature.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
I bagged a good few of the champignon's and have strung them up to dry, didnt take the others though. Think I will stay away from the other two until I have learnt a lot more about fungi, but there are plenty about at the min so I should learn fast.

xylaria

bottom one looks like a type of mottle gill like a panaeolus subbalteatus. The spore dusting the stem looks the characteristic purple brown not the white cream of marasmius oreades. marasmius oraades is more irraglar in shape, the gill plates are much thicker and more distant. I am not a expert at iding the mottlegill group as I don't consume them. possession of certain mottlegills when dried may be illegal under the control of drugs act.

Top one is a blusher as the vovla is fused, it should stain red when cut. It is edible but I don't think it is much cop.

I can't id a red russula from piccy.

Last edited:

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
thanks for that Ive just done a bit of research about mottlegills I think this is a brown mottlegill aka brown hay cap (Psilocybe foenisecii / Panaeolus foenisecii)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE