aftermath population zero - interesting video

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I've always found the environmental lobby's unashamed hatred for humanity to be most disconcerting. Such statements are usually swiftly followed by the statement "We need to reduce the Earth's population", to which the correct response is of course "Well, you first!".

Human beings are amazing creatures capable of acts of astonishing creativity, compassion, beauty and wonder. They are also capable of wickedness, but don't let that blind you to the good stuff.

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
the environmental lobby are a pack of halfwits who can only complain and whine, without coming up with any viable solutions.
but you are correct that population growth needs to be addressed. my views would probably be considered draconian even by chinas standards. common sense should rule the day, even if that means restricting family size and enforced sterilisation.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
the environmental lobby are a pack of halfwits who can only complain and whine, without coming up with any viable solutions.
but you are correct that population growth needs to be addressed. my views would probably be considered draconian even by chinas standards. common sense should rule the day, even if that means restricting family size and enforced sterilisation.

And China is just realizing the unintended consequenses of their policy. Their working age population is shrinking in relation to the retiree age population. Who's going to support them?

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
And China is just realizing the unintended consequenses of their policy. Their working age population is shrinking in relation to the retiree age population. Who's going to support them?

i think the fictional ''resyk'' of mega city one would negate that chestnut. or maybe the withdrawl of non trauma medical intervention past the age of 60?
i was vasectomised 2 years ago after one son, and i doubt he'll be having having kids unless its adopted ;)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
i think the fictional ''resyk'' of mega city one would negate that chestnut. or maybe the withdrawl of non trauma medical intervention past the age of 60?
i was vasectomised 2 years ago after one son, and i doubt he'll be having having kids unless its adopted ;)

Fiction aside. Reality is that they have more people to support than they have people to support them.

Good luck when your pension no longer comes because there are more pensioners than there are working age taxpayers to support it. That's neither political nor philosophycal; rather simple demgraphic economics. We're very close to that now as my generation (the baby boomers) begin retiring.

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
it is tricky, but withdrawl of medical care for chronic conditions would save money and lower life expectancy. granted there would be a spike in the elderly population for a generation or two. failing that fingers crossed for a tremendous pandemic or a lovely zombie apocalypse.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
[video=youtube;cqi5F5MqqTQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqi5F5MqqTQ&list=FL3py ackt7YSNNiWGGsz0vGQ&index=46&f eature=plpp_video[/video]

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
If he means what I think: that we are a product of nature and therefore inseparable from it. Our actions are just part of nature since we are also. IF that's what he means then we're in agreement.

ah i see. don't agree though on the basis that our sentience and intelligence (or lack of) has allowed us to transcend and i'd argue, to remove ourselves from the environments whims and foibles. DOOMED we're all DOOMED!

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
If he means what I think: that we are a product of nature and therefore inseparable from it. Our actions are just part of nature since we are also. IF that's what he means then we're in agreement.

Yup the head of the nail has been hit, everything is always in on around balance its just our sense of self loathing that prescribes us a sentance of demonishing our own evolution and entwining the innabilty of other creatures to adapt to changing enviroments with our own successes. I however choose to enjoy life and not worry about the push posh touted by nothungtodowithmylifestyleers. :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
ah i see. don't agree though on the basis that our sentience and intelligence (or lack of) has allowed us to transcend and i'd argue, to remove ourselves from the environments whims and foibles. DOOMED we're all DOOMED!

Just as a beaver building a dam changes the environment around him and raises him above the otherwise natural environment. We just do it on a bigger scale.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE