After the wind some tidying to do.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What a shame :(
Lovely trees, but they do shatter when they come down.
Is the timber of any use for much but fireworod when it has dropped like that ?

You're going to be a busy man :)

cheers,
M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I know you mentioned it, but be careful of the tensions in the wood. Mate of mine nearly lost his lower jaw to a compressed Ash limb, he was a right mess. Watch out for the trunk standing back up too as you log it back. Better to release the root ball end first. Ask me how I know ;)

Also, don't use the crater as a handy stash place for your fuel and oil can, and Thermos and sarnies. Again, ask me how I know. My Thermos has been buried underground since 1987 :D

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I know you mentioned it, but be careful of the tensions in the wood. Mate of mine nearly lost his lower jaw to a compressed Ash limb, he was a right mess. Watch out for the trunk standing back up too as you log it back. Better to release the root ball end first. Ask me how I know ;)

Also, don't use the crater as a handy stash place for your fuel and oil can, and Thermos and sarnies. Again, ask me how I know. My Thermos has been buried underground since 1987 :D

All good advice, the main attack is purely aesthetics and to leave just the main trunks. This will be the third year of clering a beech off the lawn... The limbs that are buried in to ground some 5/6ft+ are the worst as not only is it hard to know the compression/tension but thay can be twisted at the same time,, one big explosion just waiting.

At the end of the day if I'm not happy I just walk away and we hire in a team with machinery.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor

Wise words my friend, customer lost his collie to root ball flumping back into place, he was heart broken, also brushed the fringe of a nosey vicar peering in the hole as i was cutting one off!

The strain and tension of a windblown mature tree is unbelievable and you will not be able to move out of harms way fast enough

Stay safe.

Ivan..

Lovely level ground to work on, mind you.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Makes cracking firewood anyway Rob - a joy to split. Don't fancy snedding that first one much mind you

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Try to keep the best straight cuts! Make great spoons, spatulas and kuksas if you're willing to put in some work :)

Chop off the root ball first (as people have already suggested) then cut the limbs uppermost first since they'll be under the least tension (which will gradually release tension on the lower limbs). Personally I'd bow saw as much as possible just to diminish risks (don't much fancy a chainsaw flying towards me if it gets sprung back by a springy limb)

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Thanks for all the good advise, I once got a call from the factor telling me if I used a bow saw it would take me forever to clear the tree I was working on! Some one had phoned him to tell him this as he's in strling. It was two limbs that I was happier to do by hand than balance with a saw..... Same people didn't stop to offer help.

Ahhh such is estate life.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE