After a New Rucksack.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Hi folks, I'm thinking of getting a new rucksack, as the one I used last time out, admittedly a pretty old one, felt a bit clumsy and unbalanced.
It was a 55l one, an old vango, and so I'm thinking of going for the 55l Highlander pro forces jobby. Does anyone know much about this pack - is it a generous 55l, or will two days away be a tight squeeze?
Would I be better off going for the 66l one? or even going smaller for the 45l?
Any advice and comments appreciated!

Reaps72

Forager
Jul 20, 2011
West Yorkshire
Hi,
I personally don't get the whole military surplus thing ! :confused:

It looks an ok rucksack but for the same kind of money you can get a higher spec normal outdoors sport one & it'll be a nicercolour than camo green! The Army-Surplus stores are loving the whole bushcraft adoption of the once military kit & anything green is becoming more expensive cos it says military issue or standard.

Personally I would rather it was tried & tested for what it'll get used for Camping, Walking, Climbing & Bike-ing. I swear by
my Vango 45+5 or for summer use my Karrimor Wind 25+5 :You_Rock_

But if your about to go on manoeuvres with any of our military forces then knock yourself out & good luck keep safe! goodjob

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
I know what you mean about the military thing - I was just looking for something fairly cheap, robust and unobtrusive in colour.
I'm not a military/survivalist type, just thought these kind of sacks were the cheaper option?

Reaps72

Forager
Jul 20, 2011
West Yorkshire
Hasn’t this question been asked and answered ad nauseum in the various kit forums? Isn’t this why there is a search feature?

I suppose it has ! & "ad nauseum" it will continue to be for as long as people have a choice & preferences.

Mine is simply to go with leisure orientated than military!

:confused:

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I think its only natural if you are into the outdoor/bushcraft /(in my case also) carp fishing thing, you want drab, often green or olive clothing. I don't want an orange parka, or red rucksack... OD suits me fine. I don't accept that the "normal" outdoors stuff is higher spec... Yes it may have a few more pockets with zips to fail, or fangled elastics and bungies... I want an drab coloured pack that is solid, no unnecessary bits, that carries well and won't break in a hurry.

This often leads us to military or military knock off gear. Some is good some is rubbish. I prefer genuine issue military kit, it is strong, functional and will last for a long time & is a good price. A lot of the hiking/outdoor gear is built as much for lightness as for practical use. Most these days is made in china and often fails after a while.
Carp fishing gear is a case in point where you can pay top dollar for a "brand" but get a far east made item.

So if like many you are in the market for a drab, woodland-type colour item, that will be hard wearing and practical, you'll often find what you want in the military lines. I'm not really an ultra light fan.. I want a practical solid piece of kit...
I currently use a large 'Molle ll modified' US Alice pack, but have been very impressed with the Karrimor SF series.... An army mate showed me his issue bergen and it too looked a nice pack....
I think you'll certainly find what you want in the military lines... They even have Alice pack available for £40 or £50 if you look.
cheers
Gareth

garethw

Settler
Mate got one of these from one of the "suitcase" stores that pop up in vacant shops.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camping-Bergen-Backpack-Rucksack-Travel/dp/B001MU1MSG

B
uilt pretty study (as in not army bombproof, but not not flimsy either, just well made).

has adjustable back, hydration sleeve and a front zip to get into the main area without having to open the main flap.

Sorry to disagree with you here, but I really hate these mountaineering/climbing "tube" packs. This is what most of the packs you get in Blacks or where ever have come to...
You have to stuff all your gear into the tube, so finding anything is a mare.... Loads of straps, elastic and toggles..

Its just to my mind not a practical Bushcrafty type pack. I really prefer side pockets and easy access for quick access gear... a wide opening for easy access and finding things... and tabs and loops to hang extra modulable pouches etc... That's why I love the old Alice/Molle system so much, you make it into the pack you want... Even the Karrimor kit lets you add pocket, and is Molle compatible for extra carry space. With these 'military' sytems if you:
- Don't like the straps or lumber belt: Well change them....there are lots of adaptable or third party versions.
- Don't have enough pockets: Well add a few....Molle does a whole range of add ons.

Also its not drab enough colourwise for me... I don't want a blue pack.
Cheers
Gareth

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I know what you mean about the military thing - I was just looking for something fairly cheap, robust and unobtrusive in colour.
I'm not a military/survivalist type, just thought these kind of sacks were the cheaper option?

Back to the question that the OP originally asked, the Highlander stuff is not bad, i have a Forces 25 & a 33, the 25 has been used and abused, it's been dragged, dropped, overfilled, bounced down and thrown down hills and scree slopes, filled with wood and timber to bring back home and got wet at the beach and in the rain and generally used & abused and apart from a bit of wear around the draw string on the snow cap inside there is no sign of damage, all of the zips and buckles are as good as the day i bought it, i use my 25 all the time and love it, the 33 ive only just got for those times when i need just a slightly larger pack, ie carrying back materials from the woods, sure the materals used are not of the quality of a Sabre 45 etc, but there again neither is the price, but it's a sturdy pack, certainly sturdy enough for my needs.

In my mind they are good packs and not just availiable in "military" green or camo, i find mine to be comfy to wear for long periods, i dont use the waist belt though as the packs i have are the smaller ones and certainly on the 25 the waist belt is almost a chest strap on me, best bet is to see if you can try one on and see how you like it.

Hope this helps?

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
I've got a 55. Strong sturdy and comfortable pack. Plenty of space to carry an issue dos bag, hammock, tarp, spare clothes etc. There's an adjustable back and the hip support is very comfortable. I've been pleased with mine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE