Italian mountain rucksack, surplus. Help please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hullblazer

Jun 9, 2016
Hastings, UK
Hi all

I don't want new, nylon rucksacks or bags. I want character. So I bought one of these.

The straps are missing and I'm keen to add replacements myself. I was thinking of 30mm or 40mm canvas webbing/strapping but am having trouble visualising the fix. Also, where to get the supplies (and to colour-match (to a degree)).

ANY help would be appreciated.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/italian-mountain-rucksack-surplus/15543

15543.jpg

15543a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hi,
I am one of the moderators here and I edited your post to show a link based on the photo you tried to link to, also added in the images. Did you buy from that site? If so, I would think that you should return and ask for a pack with straps...unless you are concerned that the replacement will be one that smells of mould, per the reviews.

Are the missing straps cut off flush with the back, or are there still tabs of the old webbing you can stitch to? Having had a modern pack with a ripped strap that had torn at the seam, it is likely beyond domestic sewing gear to sew canvas webbing back into a seam. You need a very heavy sewing machine, or some sort of pad for forcing a needle through. Hard work.

Sorry, can't help with canvas sources. I do know though that you need a very stiff webbing to spread the load, or you need to sew a strap from layers. A lot of the webbing strap sold (that I have seen) isn't stiff enough to do for a strap like that by itself.

Good luck....show us the result when done :D

Chris

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Try to find an old Y-webbing and attach it.

That article doesn't sell very good, so perhaps a surplus shop has one but didn't put it in the web shop. I recommend to call them.
I think, I have seen an olive green Bundeswehr canvas Y-webbing in Husum in the surplus shop.
If you are interested I can call them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE