After a new knife on a budget. Help please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
pm me the sort of thing your after and i will see what i can do, but it will take a while because work is mental ATM.....

chris.........

max whitlock

Feb 28, 2010
Teesside
RE: After a new knife on a budget. Help please?

If you look at the title of your original post as above and look at what is happening now. The longer you debate this and the more shiny things you look at, the more time you allow for the price range of the knife you select to rise, slowly but surely. Hey! - there must be some sort of mathematical formulae to represent this anybody got any ideas?).

Believe me - i'm not an expert on Bushcraft by any stretch but this happens to me!

My advice it to go back to the start and get a real cheap quality knife (a mora - there is no other knife in it's price range that matches it's performance) then in time you will try others) (plus your finances may match your hankerings for shiny things by then!)

Regards

Max

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
RE: After a new knife on a budget. Help please?

If you look at the title of your original post as above and look at what is happening now. The longer you debate this and the more shiny things you look at, the more time you allow for the price range of the knife you select to rise, slowly but surely. Hey! - there must be some sort of mathematical formulae to represent this anybody got any ideas?).

Believe me - i'm not an expert on Bushcraft by any stretch but this happens to me!

My advice it to go back to the start and get a real cheap quality knife (a mora - there is no other knife in it's price range that matches it's performance) then in time you will try others) (plus your finances may match your hankerings for shiny things by then!)

Regards

Max

Plus 1 for that comment. To enjoy bush-craft you need some sort of knife. The frost Mora Clipper is the perfect place to start. once you have it then carry on enjoying your BC and build on your experiences to pick out the next knife you buy or make. You will always have the clipper to rely on and maybe pass on to a friend or relative once you have found your favourite sharp.

I made the mistake of trying to think what I would need a knife for before I knew what I would actually be doing with it. I bought a SOG seal pup years ago that i didnt really use because the handle was uncomfortable and the serrated edge made it awkard to use. The next knife was a fallkniven S1 from heinnie. lovely knife, bought out of lust more than judgement, but too thick and for me difficult to sharpen. The next knife was a frosts mora in carbon steel nice knife but to me the sheath was poor.
I then ordered a Skookum bushtool after the price of the woodlore clones on eaby at the time put me off.

I had to wait more that 2 years for the SBT and in the mean time I bought a frost clipper stainless and that combined with a Kydex sheath made by rapidboy (really for a miki) is now my fav and I find myself packing it always.
The only thing I did was grind the spine a little so I could get a shower of sparks from a firesteel (fero rod).

The SBT really suits my bushcraft needs. I don't do much whittling or carving and no hunting but I am hard on my tools being a mechanic by trade. The pommel on the SBT is what sold me along with the thickness of the blade too. If I had to choose between the two knives I would take the clipper. These are just my observations from the last 10 years or so. I also have the craving for shiny kit but lack of funds has cured me, almost. Like many others I am no expert but I enjoy what I do and rarely run into unsolvable problems. Hope this helps build your wisdom a bit quicker than mine.

IMG_0628.jpg

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
It's too late Max:he's put his name down for a woodlore now!
On a serious note that is very sound advice ; Mora knives are classics and hard to equal for the money.
I'd say get a carbon Mora and then if finances allow you could get a really nice leather sheath and maybe rehandle it yourself.
That way you get a bit of DIY and a bit of bespoke craftsmanship plus a good bushcraft knife for few pennies.
I know whereof I speak.If I buy any more shinies SWMBO will bury them in my chest!
Cheers , Simon

ScotsSurvival

Oct 12, 2010
Scotland
My first knife is a 2010 mora got it for £24 plus a firesteel and I love it. I have steared away from buying an expensive knife until I can use my cheap one properly, that way if I chip it, break it or can't sharppen it for love nor money I am not worried.

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
I have a Mora and broke the tip. They are good for learning but I also want something that will last years and a classic look. Be nice to hand it down one day.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I would agree with all thats been said above, some good advice from some good people.
If on the other hand you dont want to make your own and are a little impatient then you could do a lot worse than browsing the Heinnie site. There this for example at a mere 34 notes,
6231.jpg

or these helle knives for a little more
http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Helle-Knives/c-1-92-150/

I must be blind i cant see this knife on the site !

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
They market this one at MEC aimed at canoe trippers wanting a
waterproof knife and sheath...called the Frosts River Knife.
Cheap and cheerful, might get me one and just leave it fastened
to the canoe.

riverknife.jpg

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
The somewhat misnamed gut hook blade is used to "unzip" the belly of the animal. A small hole is cut into the lower part of the belly of the animal, and then the small, upper part of the hook is inserted into the hole and then the knife is drawn upward. This opens the belly and chest cavity without any danger of puncturing the intestine and making an unsanitary mess.

If you don't want a Mora and you are not yet ready for a custom knife, there are many, many, high quality blades or complete knives available. Take a look at the EnZo trapper. A favorite of many people, a very good price, Arctic Birch scales, Carbon Steel (or Stainless). Comes sharp as a razor.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The somewhat misnamed gut hook blade is used to "unzip" the belly of the animal. A small hole is cut into the lower part of the belly of the animal, and then the small, upper part of the hook is inserted into the hole and then the knife is drawn upward. This opens the belly and chest cavity without any danger of puncturing the intestine and making an unsanitary mess.

If you don't want a Mora and you are not yet ready for a custom knife, there are many, many, high quality blades or complete knives available. Take a look at the EnZo trapper. A favorite of many people, a very good price, Arctic Birch scales, Carbon Steel (or Stainless). Comes sharp as a razor.

LOL. So it's actually a "gut avoiding" hook?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE