Aesthetics of Bushcraft.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
shep said:
<snip>
Quality can be a product of aesthetic form, function, or just the satisfaction of knowing how the parts work. I see great Quality in my crappy nylon possibles pouch because I know it was taken off an old rucksack which gave me many years of use. There's definitely Quality in something you modify for your own uses, either aesthetically or functionally, because it becomes an embodiment of how much you Care about it.<snip>

That's certainly an interesting point. Some items develop "soul" through use and sentiment. My barrel knife has that quality because I was given one by my Father many years ago.

kato said:
I go for function over form but think that using a good functioning bit of kit makes you like its form no matter what it looks like as it does its job :rolleyes:

Often there is a certain elegance to an item that functions well. The old army tin opener is a classic example. It's not pretty but it's efficient. Attractive in it's simplicity of design.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Wayland said:
Yes I'm currently wrestling with the plastic or natural question with the kit for my canoe too.
There's a real split in thinking on that one. Not only from a storage point of view but clothing also.

Way I see it is the usual "dress for the weather" thinking. If the weather is likely to be "upside down and underwater" that's what I want my gear and I to be dressed for.
I only use barrels because they were free, fit my wee boat so well and double up as bouyancy. Duluith packs are far prettier and you can always use a drybag inside them to keep the gear dry. They've been catching my eye more now I have another boat to fit out :rolleyes:.

Wayland said:
The only thing I don't like about the folding canoe is the material but there's not much to be done about that I guess.
Wax impregnated leather? :cool:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
....and outfit it with waxed leather storage packs ;).

There's Eric'll away and knock you up some to measure before he starts on mine.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Let's face it, pure utilitarian design is, for the most part, boring and uninspiring - there are objections like you guys have mentioned, but in these instances its the elegant simplicity that becomes beautiful.

Traditional 'stuff' always has a nice aesthetic quality. Look at the amount of time spent by people that live a 'traditional' lifestyle on weaving, scrimshaw, carving, decoration with bones, shells, grasses etc etc.

I find its particularly important with stuff you use often - there's nothing worse than having to use something day in day out that is butt ugly - its always nice if it looks nice.

For example, I have to wear shoes, shirt and a suit to work every day. I could buy the cheapest of each if I wanted, but I wouldn't feel good in it. Hence I like my suit to be a particular cut, my shoes to be a certain way, my shirt to have the correct kind of collar. It makes me happy to put it on. The same goes with the clothing I wear outdoors - it has to function, but I have to be comfortable in it.

The 'Bushcraft Aesthetic' (greens, woolens, leather etc) makes me feel comfortable, a part of my environment, but hopefully also tells people I meet something about me.

Peope will talk ad infinitum about how shallow the 'modern world' is, and how its all about image, but its not a new thing ever since man has been capable of creative thought he has been expressing it in clothes, jewellery, art.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
....and outfit it with waxed leather storage packs ;).

There's Eric'll away and knock you up some to measure before he starts on mine.

Funny you should mention that. I'm in the process of making a leather response pack. I'm going to fit loops on the lid too so it can be clipped onto a thwart and used as a thwart bag. I'm also making one in canvas which I'll wax (with Barbour wax) and it will be outfitted like a duluth, with leather straps, brass buckles and copper rivets. Watch this space.

Eric

Wayland

Hárbarðr
<Snip>
Traditional 'stuff' always has a nice aesthetic quality. Look at the amount of time spent by people that live a 'traditional' lifestyle on weaving, scrimshaw, carving, decoration with bones, shells, grasses etc etc.<snip>

There is certainly a quality about older kit or handmade items that is difficult to quantify.

Sometimes it is better made but not always. Very often machine made items would be more consistent. Modern materials more functional, but in the end it is that very individuality that sets an older bit of equipment apart.

There is a thread elsewhere discussing the bushcraft "clone" look, but handmade stuff by definition, completely bucks this trend.

I have an old leather hat, I've had it for over twenty years, it's been repaired a couple of times and if I was interested in looking smart I'd have to get a new one.

But for me there is plenty of mileage left in that hat. I've already travelled thousands of miles with it on my head, certainly on every major trip I've taken, It's sheltered me from wind, sun and storm so much I've almost forgotton the feeling of rain on my face. Almost every picture of me where I am not wearing historical clothing, that hat is there.

It's almost part of my head when I step out these days.

I suppose I'm in danger of looking like a "bushcraft clone" but as discussed above, that hat has "soul" and on at least one occasion, just like Indiana Jones, I have risked life and limb to rescue it.

I think perhaps, it is that "soul" that I value most in my equipment and it is something lacking in much of our consumer led, throw away society today.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Funny you should mention that. I'm in the process of making a leather response pack. I'm going to fit loops on the lid too so it can be clipped onto a thwart and used as a thwart bag. I'm also making one in canvas which I'll wax (with Barbour wax) and it will be outfitted like a duluth, with leather straps, brass buckles and copper rivets. Watch this space.

Eric

I'm working on a leather rucksack at the moment. It's one of those projects I pick up every now and again and do a bit more on.

Could be a while before its finished. :D

Nov 6, 2008
MN, USA
I'm going to go out on a limb and use my second post on this forum to bump this thread.

I'm very particular about the way my gear looks and feels as well, for many of the reasons already stated. Getting into the woods is an altered mental state for many people, and there are certain things from daily life and modernity that I don't want showing up in my paradise.

I also agree with the statements about quality already mentioned. It seems like often times a product like a Duluth pack comes off as "retro", when in fact it just seems that way because they knew when to abandon the never-ending pursuit of "improvement" and just stick with something because it works.

Filson's coats were patented in 1914, and haven't changed because they work, and you don't fix what isn't broken.

Good thread, keep it coming.

ed: err, third post. one, two, FIVE!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I think we are more image conscious than we often care to admit.... ;)

That's very true, and just about impossible to argue against.
In every aspect of our lives we are making 'image' conscious decisions. For example - how you get your cut (or don't), if you have a beard, a tattoo, where you buy your clothes etc.
Living in a society where we have choices then you are automatically making a decision whether you realise it or not.
Even if it's a an 'anti-fashion' statement (something I am frequently guilty of); that is still a conscious decision to either look, or not look, a certain way. As is the decision not to be swayed by 'look'.
The real question is, to what extent do you make this decision. Are you going for the High Street look for that saturday night out, or the London boutique look. Or maybe 10th century viking :rolleyes:
There, I've just used a 'smilie'. That's the first time I have EVER used a smilie. Up until now I have always, VERY consciously, chose not to use them because I always associate them with vapid, Starbucks-drinking, Friends-watching, inarticulate morons who say tedious things such as, 'ah, bless'. :rant: (damn, there was another. Do hope this won't be habit forming) So my decision NOT to use them has been a personal, conscious, image-based decision.
As such, I think we all buy/make kit based on image. But it's when image becomes more important than purpose that there is a problem. For example, people who wear sunglasses in dark places. I just don't trust people who are that image conscious - where the look is more important than the person. But that's just me.
Anyway.
So what I do, and look for, is that piece of kit that has the right play-off between form and function. Function is the most important aspect, but if I can get it looking right as well...then all the better.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Ahh..A blast from the past, I had almost forgotten this thread.

I'm going to go out on a limb and use my second post on this forum to bump this thread.

I'm very particular about the way my gear looks and feels as well, for many of the reasons already stated. Getting into the woods is an altered mental state for many people, and there are certain things from daily life and modernity that I don't want showing up in my paradise.

I also agree with the statements about quality already mentioned. It seems like often times a product like a Duluth pack comes off as "retro", when in fact it just seems that way because they knew when to abandon the never-ending pursuit of "improvement" and just stick with something because it works.

Filson's coats were patented in 1914, and haven't changed because they work, and you don't fix what isn't broken.

Good thread, keep it coming.

ed: err, third post. one, two, FIVE!

Welcome in from the cold Hollows, You are pushing on an open door when it comes to the "old style" kit not being broken so don't fix it around here.

And I also know what you mean by the "altered mental state" I use my outings to top up my batteries in a way, I think I start getting a bit cabin crazy if I can't get out for a while.

I think my landscape photography does it for me best. The only problem is that the moment I get back I start craving my next trip out.

That's very true, and just about impossible to argue against.
In every aspect of our lives we are making 'image' conscious decisions. For example - how you get your cut (or don't), if you have a beard, a tattoo, where you buy your clothes etc.
Living in a society where we have choices then you are automatically making a decision whether you realise it or not.
Even if it's a an 'anti-fashion' statement (something I am frequently guilty of); that is still a conscious decision to either look, or not look, a certain way. As is the decision not to be swayed by 'look'.
The real question is, to what extent do you make this decision. Are you going for the High Street look for that saturday night out, or the London boutique look. Or maybe 10th century viking :rolleyes:
There, I've just used a 'smilie'. That's the first time I have EVER used a smilie. Up until now I have always, VERY consciously, chose not to use them because I always associate them with vapid, Starbucks-drinking, Friends-watching, inarticulate morons who say tedious things such as, 'ah, bless'. :rant: (damn, there was another. Do hope this won't be habit forming) So my decision NOT to use them has been a personal, conscious, image-based decision.
As such, I think we all buy/make kit based on image. But it's when image becomes more important than purpose that there is a problem. For example, people who wear sunglasses in dark places. I just don't trust people who are that image conscious - where the look is more important than the person. But that's just me.
Anyway.
So what I do, and look for, is that piece of kit that has the right play-off between form and function. Function is the most important aspect, but if I can get it looking right as well...then all the better.

I think smillies are quite useful on forums ( Fora?
17721.gif
Forii?) such as this because they replace some of the subliminal keys that face to face communication usually gives you.

I think it is that lack of body language that can so quickly turn an off hand comment into a full declaration of war on the net and a well used emoticon can often help to defuse such situations.
catapult.gif

Before you know it you'll be collecting your own smillies and using them all the time.
10980.gif

No, no, I've got to fight it..........
scary.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE