Advise on taking bushcraft kit on a plane

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Hi Guys, We're going to Sweden for a bushcraft/canoeing holiday and was wondering how other people on here have got on taking knives ect on a plane? Our kit will be going into the hold but do we need to declare what we're carrying when we check in or just put our bags through as usual? I have phoned the airport and the airline and no one seemed to be able to give a straight answer. We will be flying with Ryanair from Stansted.

Thanks in advance
Ben

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
As far as I know there's no particular restrictions on knives in checked baggage apart from ensuring the blade is well wrapped (ie in a sturdy sheath) to prevent it from possibly poking through the bag and injuring a ramp rat. I'm not sure what, if any, stove fuel you'll be taking but remember gas canisters and solid fuel hexi tablets are banned. The new BCB Fire Dragon fuel claims it's air safe but that doesn't take into account the whims of the people on the ticket counter, they seems to be a law unto themselves....don't play by their rules you don't fly.

As you've already found out getting a definitive answer is next to impossible. I wouldn't bother declaring what's in the checked bag other than the usual questions, did you pack it yourself? has it been out of your possession since it was packed? blah blah blah. I would take some care and thought in packing your kit so it x-rays easily and doesn't give security reason to open it.

My wife has 14 years in the industry both air side and ground side and she's still amazed and the BS that comes of of the mouths of ticket counter staff. Half of them make it up as they go along.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I have travelled with a rucksacks through customs. (Ryanair once too)
Once in Norway my bag was sent back over hexy stove tablets.
Never mentioned my knives or saw ever.
If your asked, explain your rucksack is your hotel and kitchen.
I wouldn't expect any problems. Maybe Different Airlines differ.
Hope you have a great time.
Ammo.

Leave fuel of any type at home.

I follow the TSA/FAA guidelines for travel within the US. They have a comprehensive webpage on the subject (https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items). I print a hard-copy to carry with me for travel within the US.

If there is anything equivalent to this webpage for your home/destination countries, I suggest you find it and study it.

In the United States, what surprises me is that you are permitted 1 pack of matches in your carry-on but are prohibited from having them in your checked luggage.

If I carry a PLB, I usually keep it in my carry-on luggage because it is expensive.

The key is to make sure you conform to the laws of both your source and destination countries. So find that information (at a governmental website) and make sure you undersand it. Carry a hard-copy with you. Although airlines may have their own policies, they probably have no say in airport security.

Have a great trip!

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Thanks very much for your advise guys. Fuel wise we will be mainly using wood in a hobo stove but we will be buying meths over there as a back up. We are quite minimalist campers and the only things we may get picked up on I think are the sharps although I wasn't sure what the x-ray guys would make of some of the other items that may show up as unusual objects (compared to your usual travellers bags). When I've gone abroad for work and taken a tool case I've had to check in then take my case to the obscure baggage area as the staff said some items might show up abnormally when they run them through the scanners. The down side to that is that sometimes have to open the case and remove every item for inspection.

Cheers
Ben

Hi Ben - flew the Ryanair service to Gothenburg earlier this month: no problem with axe/ saw/ knives etc. in hold luggage (no declaration). Slight issue with tent pegs in hand luggage on way out - but we worked through it OK (the regs had recently changed) but I made sure they were in hold luggage on the way back. On the way back the only issue (resulting in a confiscation!) was over a DEET product in my hand luggage toiletries (even though less than 100mls): in fairness if you've ever had that stuff in your eyes you'd consider it a lethal weapon!! The Swedish border officers use swabs on luggage to check luggage that red flags on the initial gasometer check for explosives etc. - and I think my constant exposure to meths/ open fires/ hex type tabs etc. meant that they swabbed me and my luggage to within an inch of our lives: but with no ultimate problem.

Hope that helps - and have a great time!
ATB
Jim

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I don't know soecifically about Sweden, but I've travelled to mainland Europe and Canada with bushcraft and hunting kit in my checked luggage.

For Canada I just check my canoe pack as it was with the usual axe, saw, knives, etc. and there was no problem.

If I'm taking a firearm I usually put my big knife in the case with it and everythibg else goes in the checked luggage.

I can't imagine you'll have any problem, especially since other European countries generally tend to appreciate the need for tools of the trade more so than the UK, so to speak.

The one thing you can't have is flamable stuff like hexi tabs or fuel. If you're bringing matches or a lighter you are allowed carry one of each on your person or in your carry-on luggage, but NOT in your checjed luggage.
Fero-rods are fine anywhere.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......If I'm taking a firearm I usually put my big knife in the case with it and everythibg else goes in the checked luggage. ....

I don't know the OP's destination, but for the US regarding firearms in addition to having to be checked into the hold, they have to be in a locked, hard case and yeas, they have to be declared at check-in. Be advised of the obvious, they also have to be unloaded.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I don't know the OP's destination, but for the US regarding firearms in addition to having to be checked into the hold, they have to be in a locked, hard case and yeas, they have to be declared at check-in. Be advised of the obvious, they also have to be unloaded.

Should have been specific... 'Case' refers to hard case, such as a pelican. Obviously checked as a firearm, unloades with ammo in a separate container as per guidelines. I just meant that if it's a hunting trip I'll put my big knife in there too. That way I know I have a gun and a knife when I get there even if the baggage goes missing... Which by the way is my biggest fear on any trip.

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
Went to Sweden in April and flew back out of Norway. Firstly you will have an amazing time the scenery and people are lovely. I traveled with an axe and couple of knives and tarp/hammock pegs in main luggage. Took no fuel (easy to get canisters there if needed). Traveled with two others with essentially the same type of kit. The only one of us stopped was for tent pegs in his hand luggage. Stick it all in the hold luggage, get on the plane, drink, land, paddle, camp, enjoy :)

Rich

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Thank you all for you advice, we got here without any problems we just had to take our hold luggage to a different area for checking in. We've just got to our cabin after doing a 70K canoe trip over 4 days (trip report to follow when I get home). I just need to make sure I can pack my kit into 15kg's for the way home. We found a fjallraven shop on the way to the cabin which lightened my wallet but weighed down my pack!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE