Advice re Bad Postal Please

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Update:

I went to the P.O. this morning to register my complaint, and spoke to the guy who took the parcel in when it was posted. He was totally disinterested, just didn't want to know and gave me a form to fill in and send off.
These people have really got it down pat, they've made it so the game just isn't worth the candle in terms of claiming any compensation. Where am I going to find the Original bill of sale for something made in the 60's?
and only the original is acceptable..........and then the compensation is limited to what the item cost to manufacture! ***?

I wanted, however, to register my complaint more than claim money, but he was quite blunt in stating that I'd have to work out for myself how and to whom I should do this; they just don't care and are quite ready to tell you that, but not in so many words..............you can't register dissatisfaction in any meaningful way.

That's just the way it is now in so many walks of life and I suppose I just have to swallow it, but it leaves a very unpleasant taste in my mouth............................atb mac

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Update:

I went to the P.O. this morning to register my complaint, and spoke to the guy who took the parcel in when it was posted. He was totally disinterested, just didn't want to know and gave me a form to fill in and send off.
These people have really got it down pat, they've made it so the game just isn't worth the candle in terms of claiming any compensation. Where am I going to find the Original bill of sale for something made in the 60's?....

Weren't you posting it because you sold it? If so, the "original" bill of sale (for that sale) would be the one you provided for the buyer wouldn't it? And the value would be what you charged him (should also be on either the bill of sale or the receipt you provided him (you should also be able to ask him for a copy of his canceled check to further prove it)

If all these fail, is there any law preventing taking the postal service to court? Granted the value of the item might not be worth the trouble but often the satisfaction is well worth it.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
@ santaman - On the claim form I got from the Post Office they state clearly that no claim will be entertained if it exceeds the cost of original manufacture! Hard to believe, I know; I've lived for extended periods in many European countries and I can't think of one where this sort of thing would be legal, let alone tolerated..............

The knife in question was offered on the gift-it-on thread, so had no monetary value as such, but as I've said a couple of times previously I'm not looking for monetary compensation, just an avenue to make the point to somebody in the organisation who is in a position to act in some way, or even to acknowledge what's wrong and perhaps apologise; I'll not be holding my breath!..........................atb mac

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
This is getting annoying.

The post office have a small poster that is behind the counter with a picture of a knife with 'WEAPON' written next to it.

The leaflet I have with all the small print claims weapons such as flick knives, gravity knives etc.

NOWHERE does it say they will not carry legal knives.

Still, they are not getting my £150+ business per month any more after the recent ridiculous price hike.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
@Dougster; Annoying is an understatement, it's infuriating! trouble is, with the many small lightweight parcels I send the courier companies are more expensive again as far as I can see.............

@ Robbi; Thanks very much for taking the time to post that addy, I'll certainly give it a try, as you say it costs nothing to send messages. Who is the addressee, BTW?....................atb mac

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Robbi, you're a Gent and a Scholar! Thanks for taking the time, mate.........................atb mac

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Surprisingly often on this forum, one posts to vent the spleen to some extent; but also to keep an awareness of things that are going on that shouldn't be. I think of the amount of money spent just by the members of this forum with RM, and then extrapolate; it's probably fair to say that our experience of the poor state of affairs is indicative of the public at large, and it's just not right........I wasn't sure if I could do anything to register my dissatisfaction or not and now thanks to Robbi's link there is a way to proceed, and I've learned something so this I think was a worthwhile excercise.

Any thread one starts which asks for advice will inevitably cover a lot of ground not covered in the OP, and that can sometimes be a good thing; I'm now in a place I wouldn't have been in without the perspective of other members who've taken the time to post.......Thankyou all................atb mac

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've just realised I've reached my 1000th post...............'spose I'll have to think of something to mark the occasion, eh?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE