Advice please hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Hi all

After recently having a lot of spare time on my hands I've rekindled my love for all things bushcraft
Friday I took my two sons on a wild camp and have quite honestly had the best 3 days I've ever spent with them
On a almost non existent budget we've managed he basics to be safe ( first aid kit ,water carrieing kit so on and a small 3 man tent

I'm in ore of my two boys and am a very proud dad in deed after a good 10 mile hike we set camp and I watched as on the first eve they managed to light the camp fire with a flint and steel set ,this took them a good time both to experiment with tinders and to get the technique right and I witnessed the utter joy we have all felt by making fire the best thing was there utter determination to do this without help

On the second day I hinted at making fire with the bow something that I found a real challange at more than double there age but utterly enjoyed teaching them how to make and use it to make fire

In short I'm told by my boys they would love to camp again very soon but with hammocks and tarps as they think a tent is a cheat and my oldest says he wants to see what makes the noises at night .my question is is there a junior set available and where is the most economic place to get two and and 1 adults from ( by economic I mean cheep but not crap ) or is junior a waste and should I go strait to a standard hammock

And advise would be greatly appreciated

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'd go for adult hammocks, don't know how tall you are or how old your children are but better too big than too small. A cheap sleeping bag can make a great underquilt although they are bulky

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
My boys are 10 and 11 but both strapping lads so I was thinking adults strait off as well and tenth wonder is looking popular

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Sorry forgot to ask are bivvy bags a must or a luxury to be honest I've either tented or slept under the stars with nothing but my fire and pot of coffee

Reverend Graham

Life Member
Jul 2, 2012
Grimsby
Just a little tip I was given about hammocks, when you hang it, make sure your feet end fastening is slightly higher than your head end to stop sliding down + a kip mat between the folds for warmth.

Rev G

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Sorry forgot to ask are bivvy bags a must or a luxury to be honest I've either tented or slept under the stars with nothing but my fire and pot of coffee

Well if Im ground dwelling then I like a bivvy to protect my sleeping bag and keep the wind off but I tend to use it with a tarp.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Getting into a bivi bag is difficult in a hammock and mats can be uncomfortable. I'd definitely recommend Tenth Wonder but email him direct as it's cheaper than buying through his eBay store

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
+1 for the ultimate hang book!!

I've been hanging since Xmas and found it invaluable!!

For insulation underneath you could put 1 or 2 cheap ccf mats in between the layers of the hammock, they will do a fine job in the Warner months. Then you could either get In your bag inside the hammock or do what i do and open it up as a quilt!!

Something like this should be fine for tarps to start off with - http://bit.ly/18ofORp

Enjoy

Steve

A bivi isn't needed at all mate

Dec 16, 2007
You don't need hammocks. Our ancestors did not use them.

Top advice that.
You dont need a house as the thousands of homless on the streets say it is a great lifestyle choice.

The guy only wants advice so he can spend some good time with his kids.
If you cant give good advice dont give it at all.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, he said he was short of money, so I gave him good advice. Theres one heck of a lot of things you can do without doing bushcraft. This forum is great for find new kit you had never heard of and didn't need, we are all victims of that.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Thanks for all the advise its good to get a answer from people who have actually used the gear

And just to clarifi tengu

Some of our planets oldest man used hammocks from India to the native Americans there are several different styles found throughout our history but all are in essence a hammock in fact the jungle tribes of the amazon still use them now in everyday living this is documented from several lost tribes from which no outside influence has changed there way of life so a educated comment would conclude that hammocks indeed were used by my ancestors !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE