Advice on what Canoe to buy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

david0607

Jan 20, 2008
liverpool
I am thinking of buying a canoe and wondered which would be best suited, I intend to use it for excursions around camping and bushcraft. I have attended a level 1 open boat course some years ago, but dont really have a clue what to buy as there are so many on the market. It has to be capable of being paddled solo but I would like to be able for it to take 2 for my camping trips.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have an Old Town Discovery 158, it's a standard "centre" or hire type boat. I can paddle it solo with a load, as well as tandem( much easier:D ) the drawback is, its a bit on the heavy side. The boat is bombproof however, hence it's popularity with boat hire centres and schools.

I wouldn't recommend it as a solo boat if you have no help to get it on and off the car top, Well, unless your built like a brick out house with arms like garth.

14-16 ft long is probably ideal, the experts will be along shortly:D #

cheers
R.B.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to use 158s as my teaching boats and my mate Mick used one of them as his whitewater boat for a long time - until he bought his own!
You may think it heavy but it is a lightweight compared to the Scout - which I used as a solo boat for years!
Once you have the technique 158s are easy to car/van top and at a mere 5'6" I can throw them onto my Transit type van no hassle.
I am built more on the lines of a Donut than an outhouse....

rancid badger

I used to use 158s as my teaching boats and my mate Mick used one of them as his whitewater boat for a long time - until he bought his own!
You may think it heavy but it is a lightweight compared to the Scout - which I used as a solo boat for years!
Once you have the technique 158s are easy to car/van top and at a mere 5'6" I can throw them onto my Transit type van no hassle.
I am built more on the lines of a Donut than an outhouse....

Well I'm 5ft4 and 3/4's and thats official!
Snag with me apart from the altitude is that I had a couple of bout's of spinal surgery a few years back, so I'm very wary about weight's I have to carry. The disco is fine once its on my shoulders, it's just getting it there, assuming it's not on it's stand or still on the car. It has this inbuilt tendency to want to be upright as fast as possible when being put down or picked up.:D Brilliant on the water of course, can't beat a bit of stability.

love it regardless;)
R.B.

david0607

Jan 20, 2008
liverpool
Hi thanks for the info so far, I have found this link which has the 158 for sale at £649, is that a reasonable price, I am based in the North West (Merseyside) somewhere closer would be nice.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Sounds like you need a boat like mine, An Old Town Charles River.

Ideal for soloing, great tumblehome and low freeboard, but also takes two with
stacks of kit.

32kgs so can lift easily on the roof solo.

Nick

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
If its mainly solo with occasional tandem I think the top 4 choices would be the Wenonah Prospector 15, the Mad River Horizon 15, or the Novacraft Pal or Bob Special.

If its mainly tandem with occasional solo, I would get a 16 ft boat - maybe the Charles River, or a Wenonah prospector 16, or a Nova Prospector, or a Mad River Explorer.

Pop over to Song of the Paddle and check out the reviews.

Feb 24, 2008
North Wales
I have been paddling a bomb proof Nova craft prospector sp3, bought it for tandem and some solo but now find i want to get out all the time solo and it's just a bit to heavy. I think it's a great canoe but if i am honest i would have saved a bit more money and got a lighter boat and would have gotten more use out of it. So for me get the lightest you can afford that will do all the things you want it for. Like the royalex Nova craft prospector, Venture prospector in corelight.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
If your use is only occasional, don't forget the folding and inflatables.
Mine packs down to a ~70l rucksack (which, being inside the car, is great for fuel consumption).

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
While not exhaustive this is a good little guide for choosing a canoe. Also, any time I buy a canoe, I always try to paddle it first. I think in a short time you well know if you like the canoe or not and I would also paddle more than one before deciding. If possible, paddle it under the conditions you plan on using it. If you want a river canoe, paddle it in the river etc. Shops around here that sell canoes will have "try out" days that you can go and give their canoes a spin. Or you might be able to rent the canoe you are interested from a shop or livery. Don't forget to lift it and carry it a bit, if you plan on loading it on your car top and/or portaging with it.

I would also read the book Song of the Paddle by Bill Mason. He has some good info in there on canoe types.

rancid badger

Hi thanks for the info so far, I have found this link which has the 158 for sale at £649, is that a reasonable price, I am based in the North West (Merseyside) somewhere closer would be nice.

thats the standard price quoted by all the dealers, at least so I have found. I would suggest you shop around and actually speak to the dealers, to sort out a "proper" price, often including paddles and b/a's

I ended up buying mine, mint second hand but if you buy new, haggle like hxll! there is a fair bit of competition. Also, if you become a Song of the Paddle member, you can get some really good discounts;)

cheers
R.B.

david0607

Jan 20, 2008
liverpool
Thanks again for all your advice on the subject, I have joined Song of the Paddle now and will probably keep an eye out for a second hand one for the time being, it is better to buy during winter months?? Also does anyone of any clubs or good locations to canoe in the north west, i live in southport ??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE