advice on sleeping bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

blanco1962

Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
has anyone out there got any real life expeience of sleeping bags
suitable for Northern Sweden in February, Woodlore are suggesting
their branded Canada Jay bag produced by Nanok (£175 inc Vat) and
I was wondering if anyone had researched alternatives at slightly less
money but offering that same level of comfort.

Thanks

Blanco

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Can't speak for other brands as I've only used Nanok in hose temperatures which I have found to be superb with efficient ratings. They make the Woodlore bags, take a look at heir Endurance -25 range as they are similar to the Woodlores at a fraction of the cost. The Woodlore bags are really excellent though and I have all three, it is well worth spending that bit extra on them. The Golden Eagle was all I needed on the Arctic course. The Canada Jay is super hot.

Here's a link to the Endurance -25...

http://www.uktactical.com/acatalog/Nanok_Endurance_-25.html

Mark at Lakeland stocks the whole range too...

http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/Nanok.html

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
has anyone out there got any real life expeience of sleeping bags
suitable for Northern Sweden in February

Do you mean outdoors in northern Sweden in February?

If so, it sounds like you're going to need advice about a lot more than just sleeping bags. Forget 'four season' and marketing speak, you're into life-threatening territory there.

I'd want two sleeping bags, one inside the other, both rated for at least -15C. If they're fairly different ratings you'll have a lot more flexibility. Plus a spare, and a nice big stove. :)

Obviously get bags with hoods and collars. Your weight will compress the bag insulation so you'll need good insulation underneath you. For sleeping in cold temperatures I have a complete change of clothing (technical fleece, lots of it, and wool) so that it can air during the day. Make sure to take a couple of balaclavas too. I always have two or three with me when it's cold, they make a huge difference. Even in mild climates I'll have a couple of thin silk ones, you can roll them up like a skull cap if you don't want the full insulation and they pack down to nothing.

I did Sundsvall in February a few years ago. That's the middle of Sweden, so a good three degrees short of the arctic circle. It was mild for the time of year (-15C), and it was still no joke. Never did really get the hang of skiing on ice, but when I sprained my ankle it was on the last day there, going into McDonalds on the way to the airport!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Sounds like it's the Woodlore Arctic Experience he's going on, all the other stuff is covered and he just needs a less expensive alternative to the recommended Canada Jay.

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Firstly, i have no experience being outdoors in temperatures lower than around -5ish but I can vouch for the quality of Alpkit down (pipedream) sleeping bags. They seem to be very competitive cost-wise. Might be worth a look. A lot of the other folk on the forum use alpkit too.
No connection blah blah
http://www.alpkit.com/sleeping-bags/

Logical

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2010
Scotish Highlands
For sleeping in cold temperatures I have a complete change of clothing (technical fleece, lots of it, and wool) so that it can air during the day.

I thought that you was always supposed to sleep naked! That way your natural body heat warms the hollow fibres of the sleeping bag trapping them there and not the useless underside of your clothing.

Or is that just me...?

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Do you mean outdoors in northern Sweden in February?

If so, it sounds like you're going to need advice about a lot more than just sleeping bags. Forget 'four season' and marketing speak, you're into life-threatening territory there.

I'd want two sleeping bags, one inside the other, both rated for at least -15C. If they're fairly different ratings you'll have a lot more flexibility. Plus a spare, and a nice big stove. :)

Obviously get bags with hoods and collars. Your weight will compress the bag insulation so you'll need good insulation underneath you. For sleeping in cold temperatures I have a complete change of clothing (technical fleece, lots of it, and wool) so that it can air during the day. Make sure to take a couple of balaclavas too. I always have two or three with me when it's cold, they make a huge difference. Even in mild climates I'll have a couple of thin silk ones, you can roll them up like a skull cap if you don't want the full insulation and they pack down to nothing.

I did Sundsvall in February a few years ago. That's the middle of Sweden, so a good three degrees short of the arctic circle. It was mild for the time of year (-15C), and it was still no joke. Never did really get the hang of skiing on ice, but when I sprained my ankle it was on the last day there, going into McDonalds on the way to the airport!

Was thinking the same. I thought mebbe the very large British Army Arctic bag, they can be had new on ebay for £70ish, with something like a snugpak (or even a RAB quantum) inside it, on top of an exped mat.

Something else to think about is if you intend to take a down shirt/smock or down sleeping socks? You might be able to combine that/them with your sleeping bag to give an even lower rating or more modular options.

I've no personal experience of sleeping in those kinds of temperatures though, but I think I'd be looking closely at some kind of modular system, it seems to be the way many are going, especially with the emergence of topbags designed to be used that way.

Also agree about the hat. Dress for bed. I use an oversize fleece beanie when it's cold. It's soft, stretchy and so comfy you hardly know you have it on. Add a fleece neck tube to it and you can have it so all there is is a small slit to see through (helps you resist the temptation to bury your face inside your sleeping bag). Useful along with the down smock, merino long johns and thinsulate gloves for just bumming about in as well as sleeping in. All that lot will compress to nothing and if you factor the weight as part of your sleeping system, you might get an overall weight saving as well as a massive comfort boost from the modularity.

Last edited:

forestwalker

I've been out in that part of the world a few times (-55 C was the lowest one we saw). I've used two setups, one was two -10--15C bags inside each other (one of each), and one was a Carinthia Surivival One (-40 C rated). In both cases with a polycotton bivy, a 14 mm closed cell foam pad and a reindeer hide underneat (GoreTex is strongly contraindicated in those temperatures; the vapor pressure differential is miniscule under those conditions, and it turns into a plastic bag). Both setups worked fine (well, at -55C the night was on the chilly side in the Carinthia), but the two bags system was messier to deal with, getting both hoods lines up, zippers, etc (today I'd probably sew some velcro or cotton tie ribbons on them -- say two attachement points "over your ears" on the hoods -- and join them up semi-permanently). If you can't see needing an arctic bag anytime soon again I'd say go the two bag route, else get the one lovely super-bag.

One more bit of sleeping kit that might come in handy; a smallish dry bag of some sort (not a heavy duty Baja bag, get a day-pack sized liner type bag). Use it to keep boots and such inside your sleeping bag at night. Then they stay un-froozen, but your bag stays dry. Putting on stiff, froozen boots in the morning is no joke. And pack your kit as for a summer trip when water crossings may occur; it is possible to go through the ice when crossing a stream... Just line your pack with one of those big black trash can liners (it will be horribly noisy and crinkly, but may save your bacon).

Now, one word of advice on sleeping bags. A synthetic fill bag is nice in one way (handles getting wet better), but it also has limited lifespan. I would not today, 15 years later, take my Carinthia out in -40 C if I had a choice. It simply has lost too much insulation value over the years to be comfortable in less than -30 C. I have a down bag that is over 30 years old; it has lost some down lately, but is otherwise pretty much the same as it was when I bought it (I need to open up a seam and refill it). Today I would probably buy a down bag if my money went that far (down bags for arctic conditions are expensive).

And for the rest of your gear; put on your big mittens and try to operate all parts of your gear; big loops on all zippers (say 20 cm of cord) help, check if you can adjust your backpack, open it, put in on and take it off, get things out of it, etc. Even tying your scarf my be a bit of a challenge at first. It is no fun not being able to get your warm hat on properly because you don't want to expose your bare hands to the elements.

Ohh, and Sundsvall is a coastal town, so it gets a more "raw" cold than the inland, unless there is no open water left in the parts of the Baltic nearby. I live about 80 km inland, and it is decidely different from the coast.

forestwalker

I just looked at Lurchs selection of Nanook bags, from those I'd probably be tempted by the combo bag (Endurance CZ Combi) if the rating is good enough; it is a more flexible buy, and I love centre zips, being am alternating side sleeper.

Logical

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2010
Scotish Highlands
Would that be the bit of clothing next to your skin then?

It would be yes... but generally sleeping bags are better made than bed clothes. Saying that it might not apply to all sleeping bags, i use the highlander echo range, wouldnt do by itself for extreme tempretures but handles the worst of the north of Scotland.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I've been out in that part of the world a few times...

Some good advice there. Thank you.

...down bags for arctic conditions are expensive...

A note of caution about down bags. Make sure they don't cause allergic reactions. My wife has one, and she can't use it when we go on a trip together as I'm allergic to feather and down. I suppose people are more aware of it these days but it's easy to mistake the symptoms for something like a respiratory disease. For about the first 18 years of my life, in and out of doctors' surgeries and hospitals, I was treated for all kinds of ailments that I didn't have. All it took in the end was to use a foam pillow and throw out the eiderdown.

blanco1962

Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
Thanks everyone for the posts so far, lots of great advice (as always) and recommendations.

Lots to think about and pennies to save!!

Blanco

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
It would be yes... but generally sleeping bags are better made than bed clothes. Saying that it might not apply to all sleeping bags, i use the highlander echo range, wouldnt do by itself for extreme tempretures but handles the worst of the north of Scotland.

You've lost me there! I tend not to where proper 'bed clothes' when out in cold anyway, but things like tracksuit bottoms etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE