Advice on modifying my DD Travel hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'm no climber, so I don't have much experience with these slings but I'm told they are woven with nylon to give some shock-absorbancy.

An easy test is drop it into water-if it floats its pure UHMW, if not its a mix.

Dunno - a bit reluctant to buy one to find out.. but it does say..

Lyon Dyneema Climbing Slings. 15mm Dyneema polyethylene tubular sewn sling. MBL in new condition 22kN conforms to EN566. Available in lengths of 60cm , 120cm and 240cm .

Please note: Dyneema slings are lighter weight than nylon but have a lower melting temperature. Sling lengths quoted end to end, not circumference.
Anyone else got one to test?

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
I've been using climbing slings with my DD camping hammock for over a year now.
I basically put a sling (usually 5m one) round each tree and feed it through itself so that it tightens against the tree. I then attach the long end to the sling/carabiner that lives permanently on the hammock. This loop is made with a really short (0.5m I think climbing sling) that is fed through the hammock end. So what I end up with is this.
Through the long sling round each tree, hook the hammock onto one tree, unroll it and hook it on to the other one. Hammock up in under a minute.
If the spacing is wider than I would like I add more slings, if it's shorter I double them up or tie overhand knots in them.
The slings have little stretch and give a really comfortable hang.
Here's me lounging on a canoe trip down the Dee. The pictures aren't great for showing the slings in great detail but you get the idea.
p1010015wh.jpg

p1010014oo.jpg

Must do that again sometime ;)

Cogola

Apr 21, 2009
Western Australia
I can't actually remember how my DD Frontline arrived but I do remember the webbing that came with it was pretty useless. My most recent setup for this hammock is some climbing accessory cord through the end of the hammock ending in a steel ring at each end. I've attached a structural ridge line between the rings made of zing-it. From the rings to the trees I use home made whoopie slings attached to tree guards using homemade soft shackles. The tree guards are fixed into position using dutch clips. This was a very nice setup but has all fall into disuse since I've got my Warbonnet Blackbird. If you're interested I can get some pics of the setup.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE