advice on Hot smoker needed?

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I bought one of these recently of here and as yet have not used it ,Does anybody use one of these and would share some tips please.:)

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Found the thread, forgot I replied on it! Looks like it is a Snowbee one, what do you need to know Gill?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Right or wrong, this is how I've done it with one of them little boxes (if it's the sort I'm thinking of).
I chucked the burners and just stuck the box atop a BBQ.
Make sure your woodchips have had a soak overnight and then drained off. You want them to smoulder and not catch alight.
Get the chips smoking first, then put the fish in. It doesn't take too long too cook, so keep an eye on it because you don't want the fish to be all dried up.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
For your salmon it's best to salt the fish in advance, just rub salt on and leave it for an hour or two, this helps the fish to take on the smoke. Meths in the burners, scattering of chips inside the base. This is a bit of trial and error and how much you put in will determine the strength of the smoke flavour. I find normally a very thin layer is enough. Wash off the salt and dry then put in the coker, light your burners and off you go. Depending on the thickness, size of the fish about 15-20 mins should do it.
You'll soon get the hang of it Gill.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE