Advice on deer hunting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
I'd get this video for him.

"Deer, from Field to Freezer" by John & Geri McPherson
http://www.amazon.com/Deer-from-Field-to-Freezer/dp/B000UHI3K2/

The webpage of John & Geri McPherson is www.prairiewolf.net/‎

You might consider putting together a three book set. I have used a these three books as the textbooks for my own kids for outdoor skills and hunting.

1) That video is from one of the absolutely very best primitive skills books ever written: "Ultimate Guide to Wilderness Living" also published as "Naked into the Wilderness" by John & Geri McPherson.

2) Another excellent book, available only in used condition because it's out of print, is "Modern Hunting with Indian Secrets" also published as "Exploring the Outdoors with Indian Secrets" by is Allan A Macfarlan. It has a lot of sage advice on hunting game with firearms, bow & arrow, nets, traps, etc. The specific critters described are in North America, but the knowledge applies to most places on Earth.

3) "Bushcraft" by Mors Kochanski (more properly called "Cutting, Carving, and Chopping Wood in the Forest with Steel Tools"), not much on hunting but it rounds out the set. Where "Naked into the Wilderness" shows you how to do most things without modern, steel tools, Kochanshi's book is the steel tool instruction manual for manipulating wood resources in the field.

Some people mention knives. Mora is OK. My favorite for deer and most other critters is a Buck 103 in combination with a Mora #1 worn as a neck knife. The Buck 103 and Mora #1 compliment each other very well in the field. When it comes to dressing out and disassembling a deer, the Buck 103 is close to being the perfect knife. It's design borrows heavily from the old Nessmuk design. For a long time Buck produced a Buck 104 set, with a Buck 103 and a Buck 102 in a single sheath. A Buck 103 with a Mora #1 essentially replicates that functionality.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE