Advice on buying First Defender

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im seriously contemplating buying a land rover defender, budget under £10k.

What should I look for?

What would you buy?

Thanks.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Well, what I would buy is quite different from many people, however a couple of quick questions first, how many people would you be wanting to carry?

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
My advise.......dont.
Get something less agricultural and more comfortable and quiet.

I cant stand them, just the lack of space between the driver and the door, never mind the lack of sound proofing, crap heating, expensive parts, rust issues, underpowered engines, no aircon or radio.
I could go on.
I have seen too many friends from the 4x4 club spend a fortune on them.....then sell them on a year later because they broke too often or generally hated them.

There are many more 4x4 out there that will do everything a Defender can, but in style and comfort and with half the price tag.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd look for a Land Cruiser.

Seriously, if you are a competent mechanic and welder can do the maintenance yourself, then Defenders make some sense, otherwise, it doesn't.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Bloody hell! I thought you'd all love them on here....back to the drawing board then.

[I know next to nothing about mechanics etc]

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I've run an 03 L200 for three years now, and so far it has been totally reliable, and goes where landrovers go. Be aware of running costs of any 4 x 4, they can be eye wateringly expensive.

Bushmoot 2014 040.jpg

Attachments

• Bushmoot 2014 053.jpg
    Bushmoot 2014 053.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 42

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I love mine. It's a poverty spec 300tdi 90 truck cab that I bought from a farmer who'd had it from new and had never once cleaned it inside or out. My wife drives it to work every day and it gets put to good use on weekends. I keep saying we should sell it and get something more practical but it's just too useful. Could get expensive to run though if you're not very handy with the spanners (and hammers).

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Dave, I'm not sure where in the UK you are, but my best suggestion to you is to find a local independent dealer to go and have a chat too, and try some for size. Personally my current everyday drive is a naturally aspirated 2.5 diesel 110, I like the seating position intact "normal" cars seem uncomfortable to me, I like the driving position, the heater is fine bearing in mind it's in a soft top (or two seater convertible according to the DVLA) never had an issue with not having aircon, however some models do have it fitted. If your anywhere near hampshire you are welcome to have a look at mine and I can point out what I consider pitfalls.

Louis

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thanks for the offer Louis. I will probably nip to a local dealer and give one a go. Im in Yorkshire.

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Where abouts ? I'm in whitby and have a 1992 defender 110 Station wagon , your welcome to have a look and i'll tell you where i've come unstuck ! they are a labour of love and you'll need an understanding partner ( or be single ) :)

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I'd be cautious; are you buying one because you need it? Many alternatives and most perform better. Buying one because it's good for off-roading? Again, so do other 4wd. Buying because you want one? Then you'll not hear anything other than your own justifications!
Don't mean to sound crass, but as mentioned, there aren't any real reasons for owning one. I did for about a month; and this was after eyeing them up for ages. Uncomfortable and far to expensive on fuel for me. You'll definitively need an understanding partner if you have one and a deep pocket unless it's a project.... Then you'll need an even deeper pocket! Discovery's are much better economically and as mentioned, land cruisers or other jap motors are better. There's a reason that over landers now sway significantly towards jap motors.

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
True words , mine is an expensive luxury , a hobby , great fun off roading and green laning and excellent for camping from with the family .
Downsides 26 miles to the gallon , leaky , rusty , expensive to fix ( especially if you are poor at home mechanics) , increased anxiety around MOT time and depending on age circumstances expensive to insure .

There are other good 4X4 's out there but none as evocative as a landrover defender ........:p

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
I once had a C reg 90, rubbish on fuel and underpowered but I loved it and it made me smile every time I drove it ☺ if I could afford a good one now I'd go for a 110 for a bit more room and the modern diesels seem fine. People used to wave, do they still do that kind of thing? It's not just a car you're buying, it's a lifestyle 😉

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I've owned a series 3 and I pretty much rebuilt it in entirety, but that was a labour of love and I was young and stupid, after all the work it was just a so-so vehicle.

I bought a brand new diesel Defender 110 LWB, and it was good, however, the maintenance is never ending though not particularly expensive if you DIY everything, but it pretty much takes up a huge part your spare time.

If I was to buy a really capable 4X4 having relatively low running costs, (no presumptions of being able to go fast, very little interior space and limited hauling ability) I would choose the Suzuki Jimny; fit quality (full road capable) mud terrain tyres on it and it is virtually unbeatable.

Most of them have never been parked on grass never mind having been off-road, and very cheap to buy.

I've driven pretty much everything that can be used off-road, I was once an off-road vehicle instructor - for what that may be worth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A7AzZqsrEo

rorymax

Last edited:

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
At work we have a fleet of defender 110s and they are junk, build quality is poor, reliablity is worse. Over the years I have had 5 land rovers ranging from a series 2A to a 90 and the best one was fitted with a Daihatsu 2.8 engine and gearbox. If you are looking for a fun weekend toy and handy with the spanners then shop around and you may hit it lucky with a bargain but if you need daily reliable transport then go Japanese and save yourself and your sanity.:)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I ran a 110 for four years, I enjoyed owning it, I liked the noise, I enjoyed getting rain in my face and snow in my lap as I drove. It was very expensive to run, very expensive to keep on the road and it depreciated terribly.

Fun at the time, but if I needed another 4x4 it would be a Landcruiser or Isuzu or similar.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We've made it very easy Dave.

They are expensive to buy, unreliable, thirsty and uncomfortable. If you are willing to do all your own maintenance (and there is a lot), you can maintain an old one quite cheaply.

They are good off road and an iconic vehicle.

If you still want one, knowing that to be true, go ahead and buy one. Most of us did, and most of us know now that Jap 4x4s are much better made cars - but we found that out for ourselves :)

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Bloody 'ell you dont make it easy lads! :)

I went to have a look at one today, and really fell for it.

Much like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291259135367?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

[You wont believe what else happened whilst i was there, jesus what a couple of weeks Im having!]

Blimey for that money you could have these.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-Toyo...1912547?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cea7a2a63
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-Niss...2847568?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a97152150
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Isuzu-Rod...2236394?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f3b900eea

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE