Advice on antler working for a first timer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 22, 2012
Haydock
Hi all, ive recently gotten hold of a really nice bit of red deer antler, and i want to cut t into sections to make walking sticks, fire strikers etc however im looking at doing it all 'traditionally' I.E without powertools, can any one offer any advice on how to do this? Im sure ive seen somewhere that you can use heat to cause the antler to break. and how could i hollow it out?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I don't know about hollowing or anything like that but for cutting sections a hacksaw has always worked fine for me on bone so should work on antler and if you don't have one they are quite cheap.

Good luck. Hope this helps.:)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I've cut it with a hacksaw and used a round file to hollow it out. The inner stuff (there is probably a technical name for it) is pretty soft and relatively easy to shift. Like you say, I seem to recall seeing someone heat it then break it - maybe on a Ray Mears programme - but it all depends on how traditional you want to be.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Yeah the Ray Mears program said to put a hot stick on it, blowing on it so it heats up all around, when the piece has been heated in a ring around it, the antler becomes brittle from the heat and will shear along that line. I suppose that would be the traditional way, although a hacksaw would be easier and make a cleaner cut imo...

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Well ventilated area or a dust mask is helpful using any tools. Stinks no end but works so well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE