Advice on a good bushcraft knife please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minimears

Oct 16, 2008
East Anglia
Hi , i'm looking at getting a good quality bushcraft knife , similar to the one Ray Mears uses but without the 10 year waiting list and £200 price tag.

Ive got a couple in mind , namely the Helle Eggen and the EKA A10. Both around the £60 mark which is about as much as id like to pay.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on either of these knives or could someone recommend any better for the price range ?

Thanks in advance.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Hello Min

I've got an Eggen and it is a very good knife for bushcraft in all respects EXCEPT casting sparks from a ferro rod (firesteel), it can be done if you're very carefull using the back of the blade near the very tip, so practice is needed. I'd also recommend hot-waxing the sheath to make it stronger, as they are a bit flimsy as delivered.

Another good knife is the pukkos (spl) made by isaaki/kellam etc. And of course, don't overlook the various Frost's moras. Not as glamorous, but very good knives and if I'm honest, the ones I use the most!

Dave

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The Bruslettto Norgeskniven is one of my favorites.

brusletto1c.jpg

Minimears

Oct 16, 2008
East Anglia
Just had a look at the Brusletto Norgeskniven and it looks a beautiful knife for the money so thanks for the recommendation.
I also like the look of the Iisakki Puukko 8.5CM knife and being a carbon steel blade it may be the better option ?
Its a pretty hard decision to make without being able to handle them before purchase. I want something comfortable in the hand , being a good enough size , preferably carbon steel that is well made and reliable.
It seems the majority I come across are the Sandvik type laminated stainless. Does this material hold an edge well and is it prone to bending under lateral pressure ?

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
A Helle would be a good knife why not buy a blade and bits and make one Brussletto are great blades I have one I made into a knife.

If you need/want a woodlore clone (I dont :yikes: ) buy a SWC or Enzo kit and make your own clone for about the same money you are talking about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE