Advice needed on taking a pelt and skeleton from a rat.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

Jackal

This morning my girlfriend and I found her pet rat Dougal dead in his cage which was quite upsetting as we both loved the little blighter and he wasn't that old and he wasn't noticably ill.

But the thing is my girlfriend wants to keep his skin and skeleton. I've skinned rabbits before prior to eating them but I've never made a pelt and I've cirtainly never skeletonised anything before so I'm not quite sure as to the best way of going about it.

We considered a taxidermist but it'll probably cost more than we can afford.

If anyone knows anything about this any this sort of thing advice would be very gratfully recieved.

Cheers
Jack

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Though I think your entire "project" is a little more than wierd and not entirely related to bushcraft I have some ideas. :rolleyes:

The pelt can be dried and you can leave moist, shredded alderbark on it to make it preserve better.

The bones.... Maybe you can allow it decompose in a controlled environment, with no access for scavengers.

Otherwise, you could boil it and pick the bones clean! :yuck:

Torjus Gaaren

J

Jackal

Yes it is rather on the omg side of weird I have to admit and not would I would do, but tis what she wants so I must do all I can to help.

Sorry if this is not suitably related to this forum but I figured this would be a sensilble place to get advice from people with experience in pelt preservation.

Thanks for the advice Torjus, I agree probably best just to hide it from scavengers.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?p=56023&highlight=squirrel#post56023
Try this thread, there is some some discussion and links about tanning small mammals. You think its wierd already, wait till you have a visitor looking at the remains on the mantlepiece imagine what they will think, suppose it is the ultimate in talking points though!
And hello, first post and been a member for two years! That isn't lurking its stalking! :lmao:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Goose said:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?p=56023&highlight=squirrel#post56023
Try this thread, there is some some discussion and links about tanning small mammals. You think its wierd already, wait till you have a visitor looking at the remains on the mantlepiece imagine what they will think, suppose it is the ultimate in talking points though!
And hello, first post and been a member for two years! That isn't lurking its stalking! :lmao:
Well spotted Goose............Jackal, interesting first post mate, we used to have a pet rat and they are great fun, ours died fairly young too, think it was rat flu, he used to sneeze a lot. Anyway ours got burried in the garden in a box, if you like, I will go and dig him up and send him to you, he is probably a skeleton by now. Our old cat is out there too, I can send him as well if you like, then you could set them up on the mantlepiece with the cat chasing the rat.
Well done for breaking the ice and welcome aboard.................Jon

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I think the best way to deal with this project would be to case skin the rat and boil the bones.

to case skin make one long slit from the back of one hind leg across just under the anus to the back of the opposite hind leg.

then hook your finger between the leg and the skin and pull the hind leg out of its skin, first one then the other. At this point you have to decide whether you want to keep the feet and claws or not, if not just pull hard and the skin will tear away neatly around the 'heel' leaving the skinned rat with little furry 'gloves'

if you want to keep the feet you need to carefully skin as far down the foot as you can until you reach the base of the toes then snip the toe bones though with a pair of wire cutters, this will leave you with a skin with feet

once you have dealt with the back legs trim the skin neatly away from the anal opening and the tail (which on a rat you wont be able to skin out) and pull the skin towards the head as if pulling off a sock, it should come of fairly easily.

when you reach the front legs keep pulling the skin towards the head untill you can see the where the front legs join from the inside, grasp the and pull them out of the skin.

when the front legs are out you will find that the skin with come of easily till you reach the neck, but no further. now you need to decide whether you want to keep the face, ears, nose etc attached like a bear skin rug. if not then cut off around the neck.

if you want to keep the skin from the head it gets a bit tricky, use a scalpe blade to cut away the skin from the flesh where it attaches around the head, pull the skin taut and carefully cut it from where it adherers to the skull, keep doing this till you reach the cartilage of the ears, cut the cartilage off as close to the skin as possible then proceed with great caution around the eyes cut the nose close to the skull and finally fee the lips.

you should now have an inside out rat skin, scrape away any flesh and fat until you have a clean skin and put somewhere dry and warm where flies etc can get at it.

when dry it will be a bit like furry parchment, it is now 'hair on rawhide' and probably need no further treatment for what you intend to do.

note that as rawhide it will turn back into a soggy skin if you get it wet, you could smoke or wax the inside of the skin to help stop this but it is probably unnecessary.

remove all the meat you can from the bones, could eat the rat meat if you wish, though I would suggest you don’t as you don’t know why it died and rat does not taste particularly good anyway.

boil the remaining skeleton (which will be minus a tail and toes if you left them on the skin or complete if you didn’t) thoroughly until all the skin is removed.

remove from the water and make sure all the remaining tissue has been removed, then dry (and bleach if you wish)

the parts of the skeleton may well be coming apart at this point, keep track of where all the bones go. Separate any bones which look like they might come apart in the future (legs, ribs etc or to be thorough you could seperate them all) paying close attention to how they went together (use a digital camera)

now if you want a really professional look you can coat each bone with clear varnish at this point before reassembling the skeleton using super glue to attach the bones in their original position and keep the rat in the desired pose.

J

Jackal

Yeah in hindsight that was about a bonkers a first post as I could have made! :eek:

"Hello my names Jack, how best should I skeletonise my girlfriends pet rat!"

Ahem...yes....not what I'd put in my top 10 things to do on a sunday afternoon, but she wants it done and I'm the only candidate unfortunatly.

A member for two years eh? I didn't realise that; I spend all of my forum time over at BB you see and don't really get round to posting anywhere else.

Maybe I should spend more time over here asking somewhat bizarre and creepy questions! :p

OK I promise to be less nuts sounding from now on...well maybe. ;)

And thanks for the advice.

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Nice description Stuart,
i was just looking in my " The Amateur Naturalist" book by Gerald & Lee Durrell as i remember reading something about doing this in there but it appears you've pretty much covered it. Durrell recomends simmering the bones in a macerating fluid and suggests using washing soda for this he recommends you wear gloves though as the solution is highly corrosive
Jackal,
it may be worth checking out your local library for a copy of this book as there is some useful pictures and a more indepth description however if you follow Stuart's advice on this i dont think you will go far wrong. Good luck and happy skinning.

Oh and just for the record Durrell does'nt mention eating the meat!!!................... Ratatouille anyone!!! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE