Advice needed on rucksack.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wildebassman

Jan 12, 2009
Up North
Hello I'm new here...
I have to admit I haven't been rambling the last 20 years but now I want to be out and about again. I need a rucksack that will be large enough to carry clothing for 1 week in the lake district, for this first time I will walk from hostell to hostell so I won't have any camping gear on me. I still have my old beloved Karrimor Civetta I bought in the eighties but I think a smaller rucksack will do, I was thinking would a 35 ltr. Snugpak Sleeka force do or even smaller? Please advice me on a proper rucksack, all input is welcome!

Cheers,

Dennis.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Dennis - welcome to the forum

Have you used the search facility, it should give you some answers. Try looking for "daysack".

HTH

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
From what I hear, Snugpak bags are well put together, but they ride high on your back as they are designed to be worn over webbing.

This means the waist belt can not be used to carry any weight, meaning aching shoulders etc.

My advice would be go to a camping shop and try a few on - make sure they are loaded up though - climbing ropes from the shop are ideal for adding a bit of weight.

Having said all that - I loved my Sabre 45, so try one on for size!

Simon

wildebassman

Jan 12, 2009
Up North
I have heard the same about the snugpaks, I also learned they can be adjusted to wear on the hips as long as you aren't too tall. Does anybody have experience with this?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Airjet make some good strong packs Dennis, they`re relatively cheap but don`t let that put you off. I`ve had a 45L for nearly two years and it`s stood up to plenty of grief without showing any signs of damage.
If your budget is big enough have a look at the Karrimor Sabres or if you prefer a more traditional day pack maybe a Duluth.

wildebassman

Jan 12, 2009
Up North
Airjet make some good strong packs Dennis, they`re relatively cheap but don`t let that put you off. I`ve had a 45L for nearly two years and it`s stood up to plenty of grief without showing any signs of damage.
If your budget is big enough have a look at the Karrimor Sabres or if you prefer a more traditional day pack maybe a Duluth.

Hm, airjet is very affordable, how's the comfort, fx, is the waistband padded?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hm, airjet is very affordable, how's the comfort, fx, is the waistband padded?

Very comfortable Dennis, it`s got a good back system for ventilation and good padding all round. I`ve had it rammed full for a one night winter trip and carried a good distance in comfort.

These guys are about as cheap as you`ll find ....

http://www.polimil.co.uk/acatalog/Tracpac_Airjet_45_ltr_Rucksack__26.00.html

No connection etc etc ...

I`ve got the Olive green ( of course :D ) and the writing is also the same colour so it doesn`t stand out like on the black one.

Worth a look anyway

wildebassman

Jan 12, 2009
Up North
Very comfortable Dennis, it`s got a good back system for ventilation and good padding all round. I`ve had it rammed full for a one night winter trip and carried a good distance in comfort.

These guys are about as cheap as you`ll find ....

http://www.polimil.co.uk/acatalog/Tracpac_Airjet_45_ltr_Rucksack__26.00.html

No connection etc etc ...

I`ve got the Olive green ( of course :D ) and the writing is also the same colour so it doesn`t stand out like on the black one.

Worth a look anyway

I think I will go for the 35 ltrs. Airjet in Olive green..... thnx!!

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Ihad a sleeka force but to be honest I did not like it, I find my Karrimor Sabre 45 much more comfortable and versitile

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Another vote for the LK35. I have a Berghaus Munro aswell which is great but too warm on the back in all but the coldest weather. The LK35 is definately my most comfortable pack and that's without any modifications.

wildebassman

Jan 12, 2009
Up North
Ok, ordered the Airjet 35, I keep you posted on the impressions, thanks for all the input!

Received the Airjet 35 today, it's okay but not great for me, it's too small and the waist band sits too high and isn't long enough... I'll have to return it..... Overall quality for the price is good but it's more useful for women and men with a short back.

Cheers Dennis.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Received the Airjet 35 today, it's okay but not great for me, it's too small and the waist band sits too high and isn't long enough... I'll have to return it..... Overall quality for the price is good but it's more useful for women and men with a short back.

Cheers Dennis.

Sorry to hear that Dennis, I have the 45L so can`t really comment on the 35. I am about 5' 11" and it fits me okay. I feel a bit guilty now :bandit:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE