Advice needed on monocular

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi guys, I'm hoping I can tap into the combined wisdom of the site.

I have a few quid to spend on "post yule pressies to me" and I would dearly like to lay hands on a good quality monocular. I have played with a cheapo one (one of those £10 ribber jobs) and it was tolerable but only just. I have a couple of very good pairs of small binocs for shooting and birdwatching and they are great but too bulky for permanent carrying in my possibles pouch. I have missed some nice sights out walking through not having something like that with me. I don't even like putting the bins in my coat pocket so I do really want something no bigger than an AA maglight that has a minimal space / weight overhead. Happy to spend in the £50 or a bit more bracket for something reasonable. Does such a thing exist?

TIA

Red

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Hi Red,
Have a look at these people www.alanaecology.com They have an Opticron Gallery scope for about £70 and it can also be converted into a microscope if you want. The magnification is 8x20 and can focus up to 30cms.They have other monoculars by Opticron, an 8x21 and a 10x25 but they don't focus as close as the Gallery. I have dealt with these people a lot through work and they are very reliable. Hope this helps. ;)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats great Fred - thanks mate!

I'm in no rush so I'll check them out and listen for any other comments - I'm okay with bins and scope sights but this is entierly new territory for me

Red

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Red,

The most common answer to your question is the Zeiss Mini Quick. This is regarded as about as good as the common man can get.

522010_1.jpg

Image and reccomendation for binoculars.com

http://www.binoculars.com/products/zeiss-5x10-t-miniquick-monocular-1097.html

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Excellent thanks Simon - a viable alternative for sure. I'd like a tad higher mag if possible (7 or 8x) but I'm attaracted to the Zeiss name

Shame both items are out of stock right now - but I'm in no hurry

Have you personally used the Zeiss?

Red

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Not personally no, but I have heard from avid Birdwatchers that highly recommend them. With 1 hand and such a light package I think more than 5X will give you a lot of shake. I was at SHOT show this year and spent some time talking to an editor of a Birdwatching mag about optics. Its basically all in the coatings, of course there is actual optical quality to consider, but what he said to me was that its the R&D that goes into the coatings that sepearates the wheat from the chaff (Once you get over 50 pounds or so).

Another thing you will notice about people that ask about optics is that they usually want 10X. Most of the experienced guys say stay with 7-8X unless you have a mono or tripod as you will get a lot of shake that will detract from the pleasure of looking at stuff.

Personally I like the Swarovski (Who doesnt?) but I am only in the Steiner price bracket :rolleyes:

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:)

Cheers for the insights I understand the principles of coating and shake etc. - I like Swarovski too (although my last major optic purchase was a Leupold ...3-9 x 40 mil dot :lmao: ...actually a fine piece of glass - my first Leupold scope sight but probably not my last). I find the mag issue interesting. One of the sweetest bits of glass I have ever used in the Whitetail classic 1.5 - 5 x 20 on BBs .22 rifle - a lot of glass for your money - low mag but great field of view and great for the ranges involved.

Anyway, I digress, I'll certainly keep looking at the Zeiss as the price is "much of a muchness" with the opticron. I would always rather buy something that someone I trust had used (hence the "have you used it personally question"

In fact I'll ask the same of Fred ...have you used the Opticron mate?

Anyone else got something small enough to live in my possibles pouch full time that they would endorse?

Red

Joff

Forager
Jul 31, 2005
Somerset
Hi Red

I have used the Zeiss Mono 6x18 T and it was quite awesome. It focusses very close indeed (about 10cm if I remember correctly) and certainly you can look at things at your feet without having to bend down!

They have good light gathering properties and are light and compact. I have not used to 8x models but I expect they will perform a little worse in low light than the 6x models. I don't own one at the moment but I had the good fortune to use one for about a week. It takes a bit of getting used to for birding but still pretty good for occasional use.

Some specs are here:
http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/zeiss_bino/zeiss-monoculars.htm

Expensive but top notch. Hope it helps!

Joff

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Red,
Yes, I have used the Opticron monocular. A friend of mine has one and he uses it for looking close up at insects from a distance. I have also used their bins and found them value for money. I suppose they are a 'middle of the range' manufacturer and seem to be quite popular with wildlife watchers generally. :)

D

DavidW

Hi Red,
I have a monocular similar to the Zeiss one shown in a previous post and it is quite nice. I just wish I could find it. I got it at the duty free shop at Schipol airport several years ago. It is I think lost somewhere inside my house. My story is the other half of the arrangement lost it while cleaning house. She holds an opposing view. Which ever is the truth I do hope this nice little monocular turns up again some day.

I rather like monoculars for being small and compact . Unfortunately I've damaged some that I have because they are not water proof. I've not found a small one which is water proof. I often use one when kayaking and that is where I've managed to dunk them. But just walking about and occassioanally in the rain I've not damaged one from not being water proof. But once water gets inside one that is not sealed , if you can't get it appart to clean all the optics then I think the optics will remain fogged abit.

I have a Brunton Eterna 6x 30 which is water proof and the optics are quite good. I purchased it mail order from a kayaking outfit near Seattle about three years ago. They no longer carry it but it is still being sold. The only thing I have against it is that it is not really as small as I would preferm, that is only to say it is to big to always be in a pocket, but ok if carrying a backpack or fanny pack. It is about the size of half of a full-size binocular. So when kayaking I live with the size to get the water proofness. OTOH , it is such a sweet little bit of optics it gets used for a lot more than just kayaking and it has good light gathering in dim light. Below are a some reviews for other opinions.
http://www.binoculars.com/reviews/products.php?id=12119
http://www.kayakacademy.com/catalog/BMonoc.html
A google search turns up Brunton dealers in the UK.

But I think you are looking for something smaller.

Minox makes a nice little monocular too, I've had one for several years and like it quite a bit. Below is a link where you can see a picture of one similar to the one I have. They are rectangular in cross-section and focus with a side to side slide focus adjustment which take a little getting used to. I find it easier to adjust with two hands or two fingers actually pushing against opposite sides of the focus slider. I find it easier to fine focus it using the opposing force pushing against one another. Quick focus to near perfect focus is easily done with one finger. But to realy zero in I have found it quicker using the two finger method. Nice clear picture and in the mag I have easy to hold steady. It is not water proof but is quite light and portable in a pocket . Very handy and almost always with me.

Minox 6 x 16
http://www.optics4birding.com/minox-6x16-monocular-7.html

They also have an 8x 16 and the 6x 16 with electronic goodies built inside. Some reviewers have found the electronics a nice feature. I got mine from a local dealer who had a booth at a hunting show. He had both the 6x and the 8x . I got the 6x because it was a little easier to hold steady. But the 8x wasn't bad either and it was a close call as to which to get. The reason I chose the 6x over the 8x probably had more to do with how much money I had already spent at the hunt show than the steadier image compared to the 8x.

The 8x would be no problem on land, the 6x I find good for use in my kayak.

Of the ones I have , if I could have only two the Brunton and the Minox would be them. If I could have only one it would be the Brunton. Actually if I could have only one it would be one I haven't found yet. Something the size of the Minox or the Zeiss but water proof like the Brunton would do it for me.

My 2 cents. FWIW.

David

British Red said:
Hi guys, I'm hoping I can tap into the combined wisdom of the site.

I have a few quid to spend on "post yule pressies to me" and I would dearly like to lay hands on a good quality monocular ...so I do really want something no bigger than an AA maglight that has a minimal space / weight overhead. Happy to spend in the £50 or a bit more bracket for something reasonable. Does such a thing exist?

TIA

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Gentlemen,

My sincere thanks for all the advice and input that has enabled me to make an informed choice! I have looked at all the models specified and since my daughter was going stir crazy, took her into Winchester today to hit the sales. She beetled off with some Christmas money and I hit the optics shops. I found and tried the Opticron model Fred recommended and it was an instant sale (a bit less than £70 too). Really small and light and super image quality. It may make it as far as my possibles pouch or just live in the arm pouch of my ventile smock.

Please accept my thanks - this is an area I know nothing about and your insights have enabled me to make an informed choice (and importantly not spend a fortune on rubbish).

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE