Advice Needed on a Hennesey Hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has had or still has one of these and what are the pro's and cons, If any.

I'm carrying a 2 person dome at the minute, obviously weights an issue. When funds allow i'm thinking of getting myself one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/products/detail/rowid=593

I have no affiliation to the above link, Just using it as a reference

Thanks Lucan

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Love mine, I use it for lightweight/midsummer hammocking. I've got the supershelter but must admit to not having used it yet - when the temperature drops I prefer the Clarke.

The downside of the HH is having to climb in from the underside, not to everyone's taste. It can also make it tricky with insulation, getting into a sleeping bag is a bit of a disaster and an underquilt can be tricky to manage.

huffhuff

Forager
Sep 20, 2010
Hitchin, Hertfordshire
I have the HH asym zip edition (side entry - NOT bottom and comes with zipped mozzie net). You can check out the specs here;

http://hennessyhammock.com/specs-expeditionasym_zip.html

It's quick and simple to put up and comes with everything in the bag (but you will probably want to upgrade to some crabs on the huggers). Next on my list is an under quilt. I have an old down duvet that's gathering dust so going to see what I can do with that...

Ben

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I have the HH asym zip edition (side entry - NOT bottom and comes with zipped mozzie net). You can check out the specs here;

It's quick and simple to put up and comes with everything in the bag (but you will probably want to upgrade to some crabs on the huggers). Next on my list is an under quilt. I have an old down duvet that's gathering dust so going to see what I can do with that...

Ben

Now that's more like it. Didn't know they made that.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Just been testing out my new DD 2010 hammock this weekend, well pleased with it, as you can choose to use it with zipped mozzi-net or without, or even a bivi bag when swinging isn't an option
Used to have the hennessey delux asym - just could not get used to the underside entry - as everyone has said it's a real pain

:D

i like em ive had the std Asym for a while but its a bit to short for me even tho im 5'10"

i bought the new Jungle version in the longer fitting earlier in the year which was the first side zip job and liek it a lot it has the advantage of a double layer base so you can put insulation pads in the supplied one is silver backed bubble wrap but i find it difficult to pack and it traps condesation so i use a second sleeping bag

the jungle is also made using the light weight materials and spectra ropes
ive replaced the asym tarp with the Hex fly which is massive

ATB

Duncan

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks

Ben

That looks like a tidy bit of kit, As i'm over 6ft kinda makes sense, according to the spec on these, they cater for that.

Thanks for the replies and link gents

Lucan

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
My mate has the side zip entry hammock, he loves it. My main concern with the tarp though is that on wet days you don't get much rain coverage due to the shape of the tarp. I much prefer my 3x3m Tatonka.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Have you considered a DD hammock? My pal has a Hennessey - it's definately a nice bit of kit but seems a bit, I dunno, flash, compared to mine. The DD, however, seems much more modable. I've had great fun upgrading suspension, buying an UQ, researching adjustable ridgelines and all the rest of the hammock gear etc. The tarp I got which is 3mx3m seems a LOT more flexible (or should the world be forgiving) in setup.

Personally the bottom entry is offputting to myself - I can't see how you could rig an UQ and use the bottom entry comfortably. Plus, I like being able to use mine as a seat which isn't really possible with a permanantly attached big net - I can either just unzip it and sit, or flip the whole thing over.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Have you considered a DD hammock? My pal has a Hennessey - it's definately a nice bit of kit but seems a bit, I dunno, flash, compared to mine. The DD, however, seems much more modable. I've had great fun upgrading suspension, buying an UQ, researching adjustable ridgelines and all the rest of the hammock gear etc. The tarp I got which is 3mx3m seems a LOT more flexible (or should the world be forgiving) in setup.

Personally the bottom entry is offputting to myself - I can't see how you could rig an UQ and use the bottom entry comfortably. Plus, I like being able to use mine as a seat which isn't really possible with a permanantly attached big net - I can either just unzip it and sit, or flip the whole thing over.

You can do all that with a side zipped HH.

Jul 15, 2010
Sherwood Forest
You can do it with the bottom entry one too.

waiting on some line to arrive for mine, I'm doing away with the standard suspension that comes on it and making some whoopie slings.

trying to lighten the load and pack size.

UQ's also not a problem for the bottom entry.
unless you want/need a full UQ
you could just get a 2/3 or a 3/4 leaving the entrance clear.

Edited to add if your going to be using it in a high mozzie/midgie type location,
I'd say a bottom entry might just have the edge over a side entry in keeping them out whilst getting in yourself.

Last edited:

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks

I've looked at Hammocks and Tarps aswell as the hennesey setups, The Hennesey looks like an easy all-in-one option, There's a few local Hammock stockists that i'm gonna visit tomorrow, Hopefully get a feel for em, I'm hoping that i can get something that i'm gonna enjoy being in, And not regret buying that when, this would have been better.

Dec 16, 2007
I have one and have the 2QZQ zip mods done. big improvement. if your going to get one get one with zips. seems the HH has now jumped onto the zip wagon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE