Advice needed, how to kill a tree!!!!!!!!!!

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Evening all,

I know this question goes against all of our "bushcraft" ideals but...

... A few years ago, the council felled a tree adjacent to our boundary wall - they left just the stump in place. But every year this thing sends out new shoots which are now in danger of pulling the drystone wall down.

If i ring the council, they will just dig the whole thing up, causing massive damage to both the wall & the surrounding plants.

Is there a "safer" way that i can kill of the tree?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Depends on the tree. Sycamore and Elder are bloomin' pains in the bum to get rid of. But if you don't want to resort to chemicals then drill lots of deep holes in the stump to encourage rot.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The drilling and kiilling works - get something like "stump killer" and drill multiple holes. If you have a chainsaw, put deep vertical cuts in a square near the bark and fill with the killer, then cover with plastic to keep the rain off.

Chopping out the roots works - but they may be under the wall.

Stump grinding can be done in a tight space with minimal disturbance - can be spendy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The drilling and kiilling works - get something like "stump killer" and drill multiple holes. If you have a chainsaw, put deep vertical cuts in a square near the bark and fill with the killer, then cover with plastic to keep the rain off.

My dad did this to a tree which over hung his garden in Portugal, apparently the whole tree turned black and was dead within a couple of weeks. He used a cordless drill and a bottle of neat weed killer.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I heard creasote substitude poured down thick deep drilled holes of the tree, but i guess the pure weed killer would be better. could always by a beaver? :)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
big old copper spike, but that takes a long time, castic soda kills most things, but be carefull if you use it, it can burn the skill badly........

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
or..pay some kids to egg and shout abuse at it, few weeks and that tree will leave town mate!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
what about making inappropriate advances on it in the office, you know..a few comments here and there maybe a bum pinch at the coffee machine. itll move departments soon after. ;)

(couldn't resist one more, hehe)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
oh almost forgot C4 works well too.....;)

Just over 40 years ago my mates and I put a 10lb charge under a stump that was sticking out of the bank of a pond. The stump flew clean over a wood which contained some very large trees and landed in the next field, unluckily right next to the farmer who was ploughing it at the time. We were all given the rollocking of our lives but it could have been so much worse...

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Just over 40 years ago my mates and I put a 10lb charge under a stump that was sticking out of the bank of a pond. The stump flew clean over a wood which contained some very large trees and landed in the next field, unluckily right next to the farmer who was ploughing it at the time. We were all given the rollocking of our lives but it could have been so much worse...

you were using high explosives on stumps..and nearly killed a farmer..only getting a rollocking sounds pretty light haha!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The drilling & filling should work but I have to pose another question. Will the dead stump then attract termites or other pests? If so having the councel dig it out might be the wiser thing to do. If their is no danger of attracting the pests (or if they could cause no damage) then go with the drill & fill.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The drilling & filling should work but I have to pose another question. Will the dead stump then attract termites or other pests? If so having the councel dig it out might be the wiser thing to do. If their is no danger of attracting the pests (or if they could cause no damage) then go with the drill & fill.

termites?..in england? highly unlikely mate. the stump should be fine aslong as cats or children dont lick it after its been poisoned.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Classic :D

10lbs though? Nice bit of overkill there Ged :D

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
My dad took out a few stumps in the 1970's using dynamite. This was a normal thing to do then and there was always the urge to put in a little more than necessary!
I ended up with a hole in my bedroom celing and a piece of Elm stump on the floor!

I would go with the 'chemical route' and try to use a solution aimed at 'woody' weeds such as brambles. The commercial version of this is 24-D.
Do as Red has suggested with a chainsaw or an auger type drill and fill slots/holes.
Swyn.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Drill some holes just deep enough to get to the cambium layer and weed killer it. should soon die off.
alternatively contact the council and inform them that their tree is causing damage to your property.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE