advice for Scotland hike and camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ddave489

Mar 20, 2014
Gateshead
Hi all, I'm looking to take a little break in Scotland, I live in Durham and would preferably only want to drive a max of 2 hours. I'd like to be able to park up somewhere, hike for maybe 5/6 miles and then wild camp by a nice loch for a bit of fishing for a cpl of nights before returning. Does anyone have any suggestions for an area, any advice as always would be much appreciated.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
The Grey Mare's Tail NTS car park north of Moffat is about 120 miles from Durham. Stiff climb by peregrines & wild goats to Loch Skeen, free wild brown trout fishing. May earliest as it's quite high. It's not 5-6 miles' hike, but further on Gameshope Loch will be, tough rough walking, and it has trout too. I camped there in May a couple of years ago, got plenty trout in the evening after a brassy blue-sky day - in the morning the (green) tent was white with frost & the ground frozen. Kept awake by myriad frogs...

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
ay well trout season starts 15th March, but the old adage is, they aren't in shape till the waterside birches' leaves are the size of a mouse's ear = VERY sheltered low-ground lochs/burns... Lots of coarse fishing venues in the Borders though - which I've only read about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE