Advice - Cairngorms Plateau Camping November

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

peasantchurl

Banned
Jun 11, 2009
Anyone have experience of camping on the cairngorms plateau in early November with regards to the weather / temperatures / equipment etc ? Looking to spend a bout 2 weeks there.
Any tips or do's and don't whilst up there ?

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
It's very cold and very exposed. It's also very easy to get disoriented in bad weather and there are steep falls with no run-out. Therefore you should be experienced in winter climbing, survival and navigation techniques. If you have any doubts, get in touch with the guys at Glenmore Lodge www.glenmorelodge.org.uk

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Don't even think about it unless you really know what you're doing as regards winter mountaineering and Acrtic survival. It's where people go to practice for the Himalayas when the Alps aren't tough enough. It may not look that high, but the latitude makes up for it. Be prepared for hurricane force winds, constant sub-zero temperatures, white-out conditions and avalanches. Experienced mountaineers die up there every year.

Personally, I wouldn't even go for a day walk up there in November, even on a good day - but then I'm a wuss when it comes to snow and mountains...

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
I've spent many days in that area over the years.
If your planning to go for 2 weeks in Nov you will almost certainly experience 'bad weather' of some form or another at some point, or possibly even for the duration.
The plateau is infamous for several reasons, not least the wind, which often can exceed 120mph. I have personally seen cars blown together in the ski centre carpark in the winter. Apart from that, you could have rain, sleet, snow and whiteout conditions in addition to the wind. It has already snowed there this year.
So, what I'm saying is - plan and prepare. To my mind 2 weeks in Nov is too long without caches or re-supply.
If it was me, I would figure on a basing myself at, say, Cairngorm Lodge or Aviemore SYHAs and then on the basis of as good a forecast as poss (eg. MWIS) plan trips into the hills, camping or bothying overnight within the weather window.
I'd also pay serious attention to my escape routes or locations to bug out to if the weather closes in.
The Cairngorm plateau is a superb environment and a very rewarding spot to visit, but claims lives on a regular basis. A couple winters ago, two fellas died only a few hundred metres from the carpark, unable to move in the conditions.
Don't underestimate the place.
Also, please check out the status of the 'Cairngorm Poo Project'. This system operated in winter via the Ranger service to supply snowholers with the necessary disposable to pack out their own cr@p, but I'm not sure if it operates outside snow cover/freezing conditions anymore.
Stay safe, have fun.
Nick

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
u wont be able to spend two weeks up there mate , the weather is crazy up there bud , u may have a chance in the glens but even then it's dodgy ...

peasantchurl

Banned
Jun 11, 2009
thanks for the replies gents taken it all on board all very helpful, I'm guessing by the sounds of things that there will be enough snow around to practice making snow caves / quinzee's ?(I've made / slept in a quinzee before its great fun) been researching and from what you've all mentioned looks like I'll be staying in the forest and wait for a weather window to venture into the hills then GET OFF THE HELL HOLE before it claims my soul.
Any one know if there be snow at Loch Morlich level in late october /early november ?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Two weeks on the Cairngorm plateau in November?
How's your arctic survival?
Seriously, you'll need serious equipment. The conditions will be very, very, harsh.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Base yourself going bothy to bothy BUT with tent kit. It's good to start at Derry Lodge and work around without going that high - apart from Shelter Stone - Over the Highest part of the Cairngorms to Corrour Bothy and back to Derry Lodge.

Be very very careful.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The scottich mountains are regarded by mountain rescue teams as the most dangerous place in the whole of europe in the winter, its serious stuff.

I'll second Derry lodge, its nice a bit further into Glen Lui too. Theres lots of trees to shelter in and a wide track back to civilisation.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
thanks for the replies gents taken it all on board all very helpful, I'm guessing by the sounds of things that there will be enough snow around to practice making snow caves / quinzee's ?(I've made / slept in a quinzee before its great fun) been researching and from what you've all mentioned looks like I'll be staying in the forest and wait for a weather window to venture into the hills then GET OFF THE HELL HOLE before it claims my soul.
Any one know if there be snow at Loch Morlich level in late october /early november ?

There is usually snow on the tops in the first week in Nov, although we had a dusting last Friday down to about 900m. Its unlikely that there will be enough depth for snowholes until Jan/Feb unless we get a Winter like last year. For up to the minute news I would also reccommend www.mwis.org.uk ,use the link to the Scottish Avalanche Information Service to see the depth/coverage of snow. Check out the mtn guide blogs and webcams also. Oct/Nov is generally wet, cold and windy the Bothies are a godsend if you want to stay out for a few days. Please take care out there and let someone know what youre up to, there has been a marked increase in MRT callouts since the weather has started to change.

Dropbear

Oct 2, 2010
scotland
I bivvied at the top of Braeriach in Jan but we had a stubborn high pressure patch, Loch Morlich gets snow when Aviemore gets snow, and they run huskies around there. I agree with other posts as regards v experienced climbers/walkers falling foul - two guys came down from the corries a couple of years ago and made it to within 400m of their car and died in a whiteout. watch out for the grey man too!

Its a fearsome place to be in bad weather. My mate used to be in the Cairngorm Mountain Rescue and he had some stories to tell!! The weather can change so quickly and catch you out. I have been up snowboarding and been unable to slide downhill because the wind was blowing me back up the way when the weather has turned suddenly. I have also seen the road closed at Glenmore on a seemingly nice clear day only to find that it has been gusting 90 mph up on the mountain.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
does this answer your question?
n675721040_939711_703.jpg

(I'm the guy on the right).
That day, was fairly average -30 windchill.
note: Ice axes!
Ice on goggles!
(in the background mountain rescue were training!)

the stuff in the snow, is rucksacks! the snow covered them in minutes!
constant snow (apart from the 5 min break when the photo was taken!).
anything watery freezes unless insulated! including food!
Ice on the outside and inside of breathable clothing (ice forms on the outside then stops the breathable which causes condensation hence ice inside!)
avalanche danger in some areas.
10 foot deep snow.
If you slip on a packed snow hill without an ice axe, you keep going!

Very, Very, dangerous place, unless you are well trained and have the right kit!

remember because it's cold you have extra clothing, extra gear, crampons, ropes, axes, you will have to carry far more than a normal mountain hike, it's very tiring! Get fit!

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I'll have to check the date (late January-February I think).
it's on the North western slopes leading up to the Cairngorm peak, not far from the ski routes...yes, people were skiing in minus -30 wind-chill!
in the distance is Avimore, and Loch Morlich.
('fraid I can't be more accurate as I never looked at a map when we were there, it was a winter climbing course, the Instructors were very much in charge!).

the course was run by the Diploma of Outdoor Activities (at least one of the leaders is a current mountain rescuer) and was a taster of winter climbing!

to give you an idea of how cold it gets, Arctic hares, and ptarmigan live there!
we only spent a week there first day was the photo shown, ridiculously cold, proper Acrtic conditions (considering i come from Norfolk lol).
we were told we will not stop for lunch because we'd cool down too much, so we were told to carry food in pockets ready to eat.

the people were varied some healthy ones took salad sandwiches, I took malt loaf and about 4 Mars bars!
everyones food froze solid! in our pockets!

It's the only time I've ever taken of my gloves because my hands were to warm...and put them straight back on!

Last edited:

Tetley

Apr 21, 2008
Bremetannacum Vetenorum
Looks like Coire an t'snaechda to me , just "round the corner" from the ski resort , was up there this Febuary with Scouts snow holing and climbing Aladdins Couloir , conditions were artic to be sure and while we were there 5 feet os snow fell overnight ! Young People loved it ! conditions vary tremendously but if you think "Norway +" its not far wrong :)

gordonmac

Nomad
Oct 15, 2009
Caithness, Scotland
gordonmac.com
It looks absolutely amazing! Thanks for the info, it's fascinating.

I live up north in Caithness (near John O' Groats) where there is a distinct lack of hills for people who love mountains. The Cairngorm National Park isn't tooooo far away really, and I'm always on the lookout for winter activities, but it seems that Jan/Feb don't look too friendly down there :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE