Adventure therapy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
are there any members that have any experience of adventure therapy either teaching or receiving, i'm trying to get more knowledge on the subject to see if it can be applied to those with learning difficulties, challenging behaviour, autism/aspergers etc. The subject has been of some interest to me for some time so now's a good time as any to start asking around about it. Any info regarding adventure therapy is wanted and appreciated. Thankyou.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
This sounds very interesting and I would like to know more as well.
Some of the work I do is for Mencap, a mate works with the severely confused and both of us are canoe coaches.
I have in the past worked with learning difficulties/mental illness with my canoeing and found it very rewarding and this "Adventure Therapy" sounds like it could prove benificial to those with problems.
I watch this thread with interest!

Hi,
Not sure if its still ongoing but DofE were certainly running something along these lines in Wales for young offenders, if memory serves they took a group mountain biking for an overnighter on parts of the Taff trail. How effective it was I'm not sure.
On a personal note while in the Forces I had the oppertunity to do various adventure training events and exercises which might also be looked on in a similar light. It's worth saying that those who might be considered to have 'challenging behaviour' and or 'minor learning difficulties' often came into their own under these circumstances, some positively thrived.
Try contacting DofE it must be worth a go.
Cheers Tim

Thanks for your replies, great help.
It's a shame i didnt know that you were a canoe instructor earlier John as i would of liked to taken they lads i worked with canoeing, unfortunately it's not possible at the moment but would you be interested in the future?
Timinwales, dont you have to be in a certain age group with the DofE? I'll get in touch with them this week, thanks for the tip.
Scots_Charles_River, thanks for the info, i didnt realise they used wilderness therapy in that program otherwise i would made the effort to see it, thankfully, series 1&2 is on torrent (no dvd released).
There doesnt seem to be much in the uk regarding adventure/wilderness therapy but i'll keep you informed John of anything that will be of help. :)

exped.equip.

Sep 30, 2007
Glos.
I have done outdoor pursuits with mentally handicapped kids but 20 odd years ago in Derbyshire.We ran `classes`in climbing,potholing,canoeing and abseiling.The kids involved really did benefit from their experience`s .There was certainly a change in their attitudes and behaviour for the better!!! But the surprising thing was the activity they liked or enjoyed most was the abseiling compared with `normal`kids where it was their least popular one.The only conclusion we came to over this was fear, the mentally handicapped kids showed less fear when confronted with tasks,or they had complete trust in the instructors!!! This was along while ago now and i would think that our now modern approach with health and safety etc.would turn out to be a hurdle but i wish you luck for the future `events`.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yeah Nomad, level 4 open canoe coach, and ML summer, but I no longer have my own fleet of canoes, BAs paddles etc , - well I own 4 canoes and a couple of BAs now but no trailer - so groups have to be small and unless they are the same dimentions as me need to provide their own kit as well...
But I am sure these can be accessed thru the WCA/Llandysul Paddlers/Pembs CC.
I am always up for freelance canoe work, unless I am previously booked or off leading exped abroad...

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
I think it would be worth taking a look at Fairbridge ( http://www.fairbridge.org.uk ).
They use adventure training along with more practical skills-based training to help young disadvantaged at risk of dropping out of mainstream society. They don't specifically work with the client groups you described but they do work with people with a history of substance misuse, crime or homelessness (although it isn't a requirement).

They incorporate the "drake fellowship" which was a follow on from "operation drake", a forerunner to "operation raleigh", so there is a long history of using adventure training to help youth (although I certainly would never describe it as "therapy"). They even have a sail training boat (details on the website).

I did an outward-bound style course with Drake when I was at school and really enjoyed it. The staff were really good and it was interesting to meet a bunch of people from very different backgrounds to myself (including an ex-heroin addict and someone who had spent most of his youth in prison)

They might be able to give you a bit of guidance about what you want to do.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
But you are talking about YOUNG people.

In my experience its the ADULTS who get left out.

(and no, Im not going abseiling unless theres some tasty birds/chocolate/cider on the way down)

You might have trouble in getting people with aspergers interested, they are very set in their ways (but there are plenty game for new things) Marketing might be half the battle.

(Our local mental health group is now offering a course on flower arranging...be cause someone offer their skills, no one gives me flowers, I didnt plant any in my garden and my best vase is too vaulable to muck up with greenery, thank you.)

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Scots_Charles_River, thanks for the info, i didnt realise they used wilderness therapy in that program otherwise i would made the effort to see it, thankfully, series 1&2 is on torrent (no dvd released).

http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/B/bratcamp3/
The 'blanket stepping' seems to work for some of them. Also sometimes the kids stay for 5 weeks in the wilderness until they change.

Outdoor Learning
I am running 11 evenings of Outdoor learning inc/ Night walks, MTB night riding and caneoing
and target kids in care etc and have seen success in changing attitudes and interest in learning.

Nick

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
You might have trouble in getting people with aspergers interested, they are very set in their ways (but there are plenty game for new things) Marketing might be half the battle.

My experience is they will do it if they trust/relate/admire the adult (teacher) with them.
Aspergers kids learn something new EVERY day all day at school. Maybe adults are different.

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE