Adventure stories for teenagers...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stingray

Feb 25, 2009
Kent
The Biggles books are still in print as far as I know.
Cracking aircraft stuff with a few Germans thrown in!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Funny, I have always found most JRRT fans to be female.

If your going to talk Kipling, go for one of his more obscure (but very enjoyable) ones, `Captain Courageous`

Oh, and dont forget Arthur Conan Doyles `Lost World`

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good stuff all - thanks. Might suggest "Rogue Male" too - I'm sure I was around that age when I first read it

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Another vote for Arthur Ransome our kids loved them. Two of our faves were in your original 3, my side of the mountain was very inspirational for me as kid.

Our teenagers devour books of all sorts. Has he read (sorry) the Harry Potters? Ours are both keen on the Dan Brown books, the Da Vinci Code etc. If into sci fi then the rift war saga by Raymond E Feist are great escapism for teenage boys, starting with "Magician".

I'll ask kids in the morning if you need more suggestions.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
How 'bout 'The machine gunners' by Robert Westall?Ive always loved that book(and the tv series)I'd say its an adventure story...

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
Call of the Wild, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings when I was young.

I read some Mark Twain and some Dickens, after that the reading material was Shakespeare or Steinbeck for exam purposes, and the Racing Post for my Father who's eyes were failing him.

Heartily recommend James Clavell's, James Michener's books and the Warlord and Victor comics.

Miene Kampf and the Bunty were more my sister's cup of tea...
great books there

Also highly recommended is : 'Down the river' by Edward abbey........a totally awsome short story....that describes a huge multi day canoe trip undertaken by the author & his mate down the colorado river thru Glen Canyon before the 'US Reclamation Bureau" dammed it {or Damned it), - flooded it.....naming the resulting lake - Lake Powell - after major John Wesley Powell - the first westerner to navigate & map the colorado river & the vast canyon system around it, homeland of the ancient Navajo & even older Anasazi people - that can now be explored only by expert deep water divers - {an insult to his good name say most historians}.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Have any of you read - 'The Willows' by Algernon Blackwood...now there's an erie tale for hardened canoeists & outdoor folk...If you've not read it...you'll find it online....highly recommended

Oh yes, very creepy indeed, and with a bushcrafty element. If you enjoy Lovecraft, you will probably like this. :yikes:

Here it is.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE