Adrift eating raw seagulls for 8 months

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Smashed the Baileys' record of 117 days a bit there haven't they!! A pretty mean feat of endurance that, it just goes to show how much the human body and mind can endure. It says there may have been five people on the boat at the start but they may have jumped overboard in the early days, yeah right!! Are they not wondering why the survivors look a little plump and have a bone through their noses?!!

J

Jamie

a bit different to Jerome K Jeromes 3 men in a boat 'odyssey'!!! :lmao:

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I saw ten months mentioned somewhere else. It's simply beyond belief. It's a significant proportion of your entire life. You'd have to include on your CV as an involuntary sabatical!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It makes you wonder why the other two jumped ship after only a couple of days, breaking the first rule of survival by not staying with their vehicle. You would have thought that the fact that one of them was called Jesus would have given them some hope of being rescued.
Does naybody know any recipes for raw seagull.

Good on them though !

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Shewie said:
It makes you wonder why the other two jumped ship after only a couple of days, breaking the first rule of survival by not staying with their vehicle. You would have thought that the fact that one of them was called Jesus would have given them some hope of being rescued.
Does naybody know any recipes for raw seagull.

Good on them though !

Yes indeed.
I reckon that the book will make for very interesting reading...Oh, wait a minute, he has one out already, aint he?

Dunno about recipes for raw namesakes.
Once met a guy who had been on one of the hairy Antarctic expeditions..
They had to eat penguins, thus....

Take one live Penguin.
Pull apart at breast.
Stick teeth into breast cavity.
Slurp rapidly.

No mention of Fava beans.

Ceeg

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Seagull said:
Yes indeed.
I reckon that the book will make for very interesting reading...Oh, wait a minute, he has one out already, aint he?

Dunno about recipes for raw namesakes.
Once met a guy who had been on one of the hairy Antarctic expeditions..
They had to eat penguins, thus....

Take one live Penguin.
Pull apart at breast.
Stick teeth into breast cavity.
Slurp rapidly.

No mention of Fava beans.

Ceeg

He's got 2 out the 'old' and the 'new'. If I was these people I would have started to write the book on the boat to keep me occupied. It's a bit weird that the length of time they were drifting for varies so greatly according to different people, and VERY strange that 2 people jumped overboard. Anybody in their right minds would stay on board. What possible chance would you have in the sea? :confused: pretty much none I'd say, not to mention being scared witless about sharks. all seems a bit dodgy to me.......................but even if they were only drifting for a couple of months that's still some ordeal

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
We're up to a year in that fictional piece of toilet paper- The Mail!

I could do with some seagull recipes after catching a few whilst fishing. They don't half fight well when airborne...

LookwhatIcaughtsmall.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They were out shark fishing I think so probably had some big nets to cast out and capture them. Failing that they could have used a harpoon gun or a gas bottle and rifle - or is that just in the movies. There wouldn`t be much left of the seagulls though using the gas and rifle technique judging by the mess it made of Jaws, still it would be thoroughly cooked through.

This would kill two birds with one stone (pun intended !!)

timtom1

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Lancs
www.barkcanoe.net
To catch seagulls:

A piece of cord, and a safety pin tied to the end with lump of bread works well.

I’ve heard of a trick by getting bread and wrapping it round a stone then throwing it in the air. Will bring it down for you to dispatch it quickly.

my last seagull trick is to use baking powder but you have to follow the damn thing for a bit. But this one blows their stomach up apparently never used it.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I work for a Japanese TV channel and one of the programmes they have on it is News Today Asia, one of the news segments was about this story. The Mexican fisherman have just reached dry land (I think Taipai) after 9 months adrift and they were commenting that there were three fisherman but another two had apparently died of starvation, they said they looked in remarkably good health considering what they'd been through.

My money is still on the cannibalism theory. ;)

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Looks like the authorities are thinking along the same lines, they made them take questions from jurno's about man eating and drug running while rigged up to lie detectors, seems they passed as they havent been arrested yet :bluThinki

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Yeah they could be drug runners. Their boat wasn't a small boat, which I intially thought it would be when I heard the story, its actually quite a bit bigger than the average fisherman traller and made mostly of metal. So enough room to haul alot of 'stuff'.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE