Adjustable wire handle - help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Hi all

I didn't know whether to post this in DIY or Food, so I've stuck it here.

A short while back I saw a post on making an adjustable wire bail/pot handle that fits round the beck of a metal bottle.

I believe you could take it on and off.

Does this ring any bells with any one?

I thought I'd bookmarked it - but it seems not and I just can't find it again despite several searches.

I think it was on this sire, but in truth it might not have been.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

BL

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
The hanger that Johnyboy1971 is talking about started its life a a fish jaw opener. This instrument is inserted in the jaw of a fish that you have caught and release the by-pass arm which spread out to keep the fishes jaws open as you remove the hook. especially with toothed fish (muskie, pike etc). Easy to get here
To use with a metal bottle insert tool into the neck of bottle, let arms open up (by-pass each other) it will hang a full bottle easily (normal size).
If you want to get some contact me. Or get a multiple order. Le Baron in Montreal has them at a decent price (less tax and shipping). Maybe Toddy can show hers that I sent her.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Called a pike gag over here and were ban years back as being harmful.
They did a more humane version with a ball on each end but not very good as they didn't hold in place.

The Pathfinder one works very well even with I kilo of water in the bottle.
They even modified the Pathfinder cup to accept the holder but involved drilling holes in the cup which I don't like.

It it can also be used to suspend your bottle for rainwater collection and if the grip is good enough for lowering the bottle down to water for filling.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Non adjustable, but neater IMO

The ends of the 'handle' part are just bent 90 degrees and clamped with one the connector block screws

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
This is what I came up with

Heres a handy mod for those people who like to boil water in there water bottles :)
Take a cheap pair of stainless steel food tongs cut the ends off and bend the leggs outwards smooth off ends and its done.

Really simple to do fits most bottles

DSCF0208-1.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

enjoy Russ :)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
A short while back I saw a post on making an adjustable wire bail/pot handle that fits round the beck of a metal bottle.

I believe you could take it on and off.

Can anyone help?

An idea for you Blundstoned Love:-

I don’t know the diameter of the neck of your specific bottle, however for something with a neck diameter like a sigg bottle:-- get one of those old fashioned bike cable clips (the old ‘springy’ metal ones), they are easy to push on and off so fit your removable requirements, for an adjustable wire hanger get a brass rabbit snare, twist one end of it onto one of the open ends of the clip, and for the other end where the ‘U’ of the clip is (the bit where a bike cable would sit) just do a complete full round turn with the other end of the wire, and that’s it. --- To adjust length just pull more or less wire through the round turn of the wire. Being brass the wire is malleable and NOT springy so will stay put when twisted, stuff like bike cable is springy and will try to unravel itself when twisted so will require the ends to be crimped together, copper wire weakens too easily with constant twisting and will break easily. If you want a longer length than a rabbit snare just get some brass wire from a hardware store and cut to size. For sigg bottle sized necks an old fashioned bike cable clip fits as they’re not much bigger than a typical bicycle crossbar. It all depends on the size of neck on your bottle if the clip will fit.. (for large necks you could use old-fashioned bike trouser clips if they fitted the bottle)

Old fashioned bike cable clip (just grabbed pic off the net)
m4NvIB6f-lE74uTh-AivvaA.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE