Adding midge net to bivy bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
We've got a pair of bivy bags from the surplus store, but they have mosquito netting rather than midge/no-see-um mesh, so need a bit of modifying. I've bought some midge netting, but I've never done any sewing with it before. What's the best way of attaching it to the bivy bag? I'm happy to leave the mosquito net in place, but not sure if it's best to attach ribbons along the new mesh before stitching it in place?

Any helpful pointers appreciated!

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Velcro and McNett Aquasure/Seamgrip might be your friends? Use the McNett to adhere the Velcro to the bag, saves putting stitching holes in it.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Thanks! Hadn't thought of that. I'm a bit reluctant to have velcro anywhere near my head (long hair and velcro do not mix!) but seam grip seems like a good idea.

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
I know its not attaching it to the Bivvy bag, so may be off topic/something you have already looked into.

I personally use a 2 season bag with a built in midge net most of the time (snugpak jungle bag).
If I want to use a warmer bag, I take a head cover and clip it to the bivvy like a couple of pegs.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Maybe just velcro the midge netting to the contours of the mosquito netting? I'm sure it'd catch :p, not sure how it would hold up to stuffing though.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Buy some 1inch herringbone webbing, it folds in half easily, and sew round the border of your midge netting .
Then sew this to the bag. Otherwise the stitches will pull through.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I spray my headnet with repellant to stop the tiny buggers getting through. Theoretically the holes are big enough for them to crawl through, but they never land to find out.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
This is what I had in mind at first. Not sure if it's better to stitch it to the bivy bag (sturdier) or glue it to the bivy bag (less gaps and quicker, but perhaps less flexible), or both?

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
DH had an interesting time watching the little b*ggers crawl through the net in the early morning light. (I was snugged up in my new HH hammock at the time :D ). Liberal doses of repellant didn't seem to scare these midges off though, even though it normally works.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
For proper highland midges you need permethrin and lots of it. Comes as a liquid to dilute in water to soak your clothes and nets in.

Skin so soft on any exposed skin.

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE