Adding midge net to bivy bag?

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

SaraR

Native
Mar 25, 2017
1,650
1,215
Ceredigion
We've got a pair of bivy bags from the surplus store, but they have mosquito netting rather than midge/no-see-um mesh, so need a bit of modifying. I've bought some midge netting, but I've never done any sewing with it before. What's the best way of attaching it to the bivy bag? I'm happy to leave the mosquito net in place, but not sure if it's best to attach ribbons along the new mesh before stitching it in place?

Any helpful pointers appreciated!
 
Velcro and McNett Aquasure/Seamgrip might be your friends? Use the McNett to adhere the Velcro to the bag, saves putting stitching holes in it.
 
Thanks! Hadn't thought of that. I'm a bit reluctant to have velcro anywhere near my head (long hair and velcro do not mix!) but seam grip seems like a good idea.
 
I know its not attaching it to the Bivvy bag, so may be off topic/something you have already looked into.

I personally use a 2 season bag with a built in midge net most of the time (snugpak jungle bag).
If I want to use a warmer bag, I take a head cover and clip it to the bivvy like a couple of pegs.
 
Maybe just velcro the midge netting to the contours of the mosquito netting? I'm sure it'd catch :p, not sure how it would hold up to stuffing though.
 
Buy some 1inch herringbone webbing, it folds in half easily, and sew round the border of your midge netting .
Then sew this to the bag. Otherwise the stitches will pull through.
 
I spray my headnet with repellant to stop the tiny buggers getting through. Theoretically the holes are big enough for them to crawl through, but they never land to find out.
 
This is what I had in mind at first. Not sure if it's better to stitch it to the bivy bag (sturdier) or glue it to the bivy bag (less gaps and quicker, but perhaps less flexible), or both?
 
DH had an interesting time watching the little b*ggers crawl through the net in the early morning light. (I was snugged up in my new HH hammock at the time :D ). Liberal doses of repellant didn't seem to scare these midges off though, even though it normally works.
 
For proper highland midges you need permethrin and lots of it. Comes as a liquid to dilute in water to soak your clothes and nets in.

Skin so soft on any exposed skin.

Tonyuk
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE