Adder bite

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
they make it sound like it was a monstrous, violent snake which attacked the poor Mr O'grady and blood "poured": out of the wounds.:banghead:

I have seen a lot of very dodgy reporting on various issues, anyone who buys tabloid papers, watches the tv news etc is buying into this type of sexing up "news as entertainment" personally I don't think this is as bad an example as many.

As for me I got a call last year to ask if I wanted to demonstrate woodturning on the Paul O' Grady Show, the poor lass had to tell me who he was and what sort of show it was. I passed it on to a friend because they wanted me to teach a celeb how to turn a bowl in 2 minutes and I don't like dumbing down, now had they told me the celeb was Meat Loaf I might have been a bit more interested.

reddy

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
Lancashire
It appear TV chat show host Paul O'Grady is recovering after being bitten by an adder.

:cussing: Now, I am not trying to start a virulent thread about media reporting, but it really annoys me the way it is presented (sexed up?): O'Grady recovers from snake attack

The poor adder was probably woken up from its torpor and defended itself, but they make it sound like it was a monstrous, violent snake which attacked the poor Mr O'grady and blood "poured": out of the wounds.:banghead:

Has anyone here been "attacked" by monstrous snakes and had blood pouring out of the wounds?

Hi Jojo, just read the link; I don't find it 'sexed up' or whatever at all, but maybe that's just me. Blood would have been 'pouring' from Gradys arms as I'm sure he has had a few heart attacks in the past few years (so poss on some kind of blood thinning medication). And I think most people, having just been bitten by an bloomin adder while putting logs on the fire would be a little shaken up too. I can't see where it said or implied the snake was violent/ monstrous :confused:

Though I think the story making the front page of the Daily Mirror is a little OTT, especially when there is so much more important news around at the moment........ such as the full spread, full photo article on page 3: 'Beyonces' hairy armpit.

Class :naughty: :)

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I was bitten by an adder near Minley Manor not far from Aldershot in 1974, it had crawled into my sleeping bag and when I got off stag I started sorting out my bed for the night (in a 6' fire trench, yes we did use to dig them then) and got tagged twice in the arm by this thing. Because I was wearing my combat jacket at the time I didn't think it had penetrated and after lifting it up with my rifle, I put it into some bushes a bit back from the trench and curled up inside the sleeping bag. In the morning around 10 ish I noticed track marks radiating from the puncture wounds plus swelling in the armpit and reported it to sarge who sent me to the M.O, I was still feeling ok but a little lightheaded. By an hour after I was really feeling very nauseous and shortly afterwards collapsed in a heap and was rushed to the MRS. I spent the next several days being treated for symptoms such as fever and muscle cramps, and dumped in an ice bath every 4 hours till my temperature returned to normal. I was a fit young soldier at the time but I can tell you it floored me. Whilst I was in there I was visited by a guy from a nearby Laboratory who were researching snake toxins for the military at the time, who asked a load of questions about my experience and physical effects. He suggested that I was bitten by a young snake which could not yet control the dose so reckons I got the full monty from this young snake. No blood, and no immediate effects but jeez the later effects I don't want again. Still wouldn't harm a snake but would give it a healthy bodyswerve if I met another one.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Paul O Grady, I can't help but like the guy. I doubt he would have hurt the snake, he seems quite tuned into nature. I remember him once mentioning doing a jungle trek for a holiday and somebody phoning to tell him Buster had died, but it was the media once again cocking things up - Buster was fine! I reckon a man who does a jungle trek for a holiday is probably quite bushcrafty :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE