Add the number you first thought of

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Any time - come round and see 'em. Only three this time - we went with the middle price - not the cheapest though - he lives about a mile up the road. If you want to know if I deal with local people when I need work done - ask Bushwacker Bob !

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2012
essex
I shop in Waitrose, its a nice shop. Dont buy everything in there, not silly enough to pay twice the price for same thing sold down the road. A lot of things you do get what you pay for, not all but you got to shop around too.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Of course people can spend what they like where they like but the point of the original post was the potential overcharging by suppliers. The point was well made by the comment on chandlers and camping shops. In reenactment we tell the starter not to buy an expensive sword straight off but to get the shoes and hat first, this principle would be good to see employed here.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
what thread has set you off then, where every post has been telling the person asking to buy the most expensive kit, or to only buy from a bushcraft type store:confused:

Of course people can spend what they like where they like but the point of the original post was the potential overcharging by suppliers. The point was well made by the comment on chandlers and camping shops. In reenactment we tell the starter not to buy an expensive sword straight off but to get the shoes and hat first, this principle would be good to see employed here.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What about those who say a Mora is as good as a Woodlore, that's good advice often passed on to the newbies here. The same can be said about the army goretex bivi bag, the army lightweights, the army crusader mugs, the army stoves, the army boots, the army rucksacks etc etc etc. All cheap surplus kit with a massive following.

Personally I don't agree with paying £700 for a knife which a famous bloke uses, I will spend £100 on a copy made from the same materials and equally well put together. On the other hand I won't pay £30 for a waterproof jacket and expect it to work as well as a £300 jacket which has a good pedigree and materials that have been developed, tested and work.

Is there one particular item which you're referring to mate. just curious?

Jan 15, 2012
essex

Some places just want to make as much money as they can, by charging loads they think they can, doesnt always work.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This is a bushcraft forum; I like to see what others make. I also appreciate the time and effort that goes into making something individually or in small production numbers and am happy to pay for both quality materials and craftsmanship.

Bushcraft isn't supplied with kit like sports such as football; it has a quieter, less mainstream appeal and thus a smaller number of folks buying kit.
Thankfully there's a big crossover with other outdoor pursuits for much of the stuff we buy, helps keep the range and prices stable.

Personally I think there's some crazy money paid for stuff, but it's all relative. If someone can afford it, and wants it, why not ?
No one looks down on someone else because they have bought budget kit; it's a personal choice.....just like no one ought to belittle someone for having bought expensive stuff.
Like my much appreciated Exped down mat vs a £2.99 closed cell one. I have both, but I know which one I prefer :)

Woodlore knives have become collectors items and that is pushing the prices up; ask on the forum what knife to buy and I will guarantee that there will be a recommendation for an under £10 Frosts mora in the replies. Up to the individual what they end up with though :)

cheers,
Toddy

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
Speaking as someone who doesn't have too many shekels to spare, I use cheap, durable kit, mostly army surplus, because it is in my budget range and does the job. I've never bought anything because it has the tag "bushcraft" attached to it - mostly I can't afford to! Having said that, I drool at the thought of possessing some of the shiny things I see on these fora. It's not so much the bushcraft tag that matters when it comes to a lot of the expensive shiny stuff (I guess I'm thinking mainly of sharps here); it's the knowledge of the man-hours, the skill and the effort that have been poured into the creation of one single artifact. Some things just give you joy merely to look at; that joy means you want to take 'em out and use them more as well, just for the heck of it. Which means you're out 'bushcrafting' more (whatever that means.)
Within reason now - a 700 quid knife is just plain silly....:lmao:

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I always research what I'm looking for, I try to buy the best I can afford. If I can't afford that, then I'll go for the cheaper option or save up.

At the end of the day, does it matter how much we spend on kit, if it leads us all to the woods with a warm brew :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
This is a bushcraft forum; I like to see what others make. I also appreciate the time and effort that goes into making something individually or in small production numbers and am happy to pay for both quality materials and craftsmanship.

Bushcraft isn't supplied with kit like sports such as football; it has a quieter, less mainstream appeal and thus a smaller number of folks buying kit.
Thankfully there's a big crossover with other outdoor pursuits for much of the stuff we buy, helps keep the range and prices stable.

Personally I think there's some crazy money paid for stuff, but it's all relative. If someone can afford it, and wants it, why not ?
No one looks down on someone else because they have bought budget kit; it's a personal choice.....just like no one ought to belittle someone for having bought expensive stuff.
Like my much appreciated Exped down mat vs a £2.99 closed cell one. I have both, but I know which one I prefer :)

Woodlore knives have become collectors items and that is pushing the prices up; ask on the forum what knife to buy and I will guarantee that there will be a recommendation for an under £10 Frosts mora in the replies. Up to the individual what they end up with though :)

cheers,
Toddy

You've got an Exped down mat? Huh - this is a Bushcraft forum - you're a disgrace for not using thistledown and moth cocoons instead.

Typical townie yuppie waving their wallets about, driving their Range Rover across our once-pristine countryside.................

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Any time - come round and see 'em. Only three this time - we went with the middle price - not the cheapest though - he lives about a mile up the road. If you want to know if I deal with local people when I need work done - ask Bushwacker Bob !
Yep, He overpaid me to cut his Lawn. Mind you, once he realised I was making a pretty shilling out of him, he uped sticks and moved to a cheaper gaff in Deliverance county.

I don't own the Range Rover any more Andy BB..........................I got a Disco.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nah you did a great job mate - very good value - let me work more hours too.

Fancy nippin up to cut the new one? :D Got a few more hedges too - but I'm sure you could fit em in!

Loved the website by the way - you do fine work - award winning too!

Jan 15, 2012
essex
I always research what I'm looking for, I try to buy the best I can afford. If I can't afford that, then I'll go for the cheaper option or save up.

At the end of the day, does it matter how much we spend on kit, if it leads us all to the woods with a warm brew :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the end of the day you only need a tent and sleeping bag and something to carry it in. something to keep you dry and warm at night.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Yup - know all about Discos - my Ssangyong pulled lots of them out of snowdrifts last year. But that's because a Musso is a proper Bushcrafter's vehicle, not a yuppy lovewagon;)

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
For me, bushcraft is and always has been about travelling with minimal gear and making do with minimal kit. It's about learning to use the natural resources around us to meet most of our needs when we're out camping or backpacking. That's where the real joy is, the sense of freedom gained from not having to rely on manufactured goods, not having to rely on the co-operative efforts of thousands of people, machines and factories, just to say... stay warm at night in the woods or cook your meals. Have we become that dependent?

The more knowledge you have, the less kit you'll need, (you might still bring some kit, not out of necessity but for convenience) and the more you'll be freed from the awful (and dangerous) weight burden of a heavy backpack.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Been there done that......slept in my arisaid on the shingle; piled up heather for a bed, (it's very good incidentally, just that if we all cut down heather/springy branches/whatever, every time we went out we'd denude entire areas), was pleased when the closed cell mats came out over thirty years ago, and have been utterly delighted with the down mat now.

I 'can' do without, I know how to make/utilise what's around me, 'but', to quote GordonM....as the body ages :) trust me, all those injuries and wear and tear add up. I camp for pleasure, I don't want to sleep stiff, wake up in pain and have to thole it through the days out.

I hate carrying weight, so yes, as light as I can if I have to carry kit......but see thon down mat ? it's worth the weight :D

cheers,
Toddy

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Within reason now - a 700 quid knife is just plain silly....:lmao:

Really? I commissioned one for about that and the maker hardly made any profit. It was entirely made by his hand over a few weeks using no jigs at all. All freehand using the finest up to date materials that will last against corrosion far beyond my years, his skill as a knifemaker means he is top of his game and he is a third generation maker whose skills and traditions are dying out within this country. The case was all hand made, fitted and bespoke to the knife. It was personally engraved with my logo and personal to me, as it is something to hand down to my little one when I'm gone. More than that, I made it as a keepsake to celebrate that makers skill and my friendship with him that has developed over the years. It's more than steel and components. And as far as I'm concerned, money well spent as a memorium to everyone involved in making and contributing to it. Do I need it, certainly not. I wanted it, I could afford it, I had it made. I'm far from silly. If I was silly, I'd practice my throwing technique with it ;)

To me, it was worth every single penny and time invested in getting it done. There are not many craftsman that can make a knife like that. Some people pay twice that much for an item of clothing that won't last a year. Both in terms of use, and being in fashion.

005.jpg

get-attachment.jpg

As far as bushcraft is concerned. I use the skills to get closer and to spend time with wildlife, which is my passion and job. Whatever kit makes that more comfortable is used, although, I hate carrying stuff, so have refined it in simplity and weight over the years. At the end of a trip, we all go home to our houses. Our house, car and bed are the ultimate bits of kit, so we shouldn't grumble when someone decides to take more of their house contents with them than you would. We all do it to a greater or lesser extent, and we all return home and buy computers to talk about it. Here we all are waffling on about being outside and doing stuff, miles apart from each other and at home, warm and cosy, when we really want to be outdoors. To a certain extent, that is really silly. We even do it on warm amazing Summers days because sometimes we can't be arsed. That's even sillier. But we all do it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE