Across the Andes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Anyone watching Across The Andes on BBC2 tonight? About 10 disabled young people crossing 300km of rain forest, mountains and desert? No doubt there will be bickering and so on, but you hot to give it to them, it would be hard on able bodied people but damned harder on them. And they are all still in their teens. Good on them. And they had some beautiful spiders and snakes.....

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I watched one similar last year of a group of disabled people crossing the desert. sad i missed this one I was watching QI :)

Actually the last one annoyed me a great deal - they were all really sympathetic towards one anothers physical disabilities but treated the guy with tourettes like a peice of cr*p because they refused to try to understand his condition, they were convinced his outbursts of language were real insults and not a condition. They were trying to prove a point that people with disabilities don't deserve discrimination and underestimation yet they treated this man with the kind of attitude they accused society of levelling agaisnt themselves!! and the guy with tourettes spent most of his time pushing the most disabled person in the group in her wheelchair, whislt others marched ahead.

Anyway, I hope the Andes one was better. People have poor estimations of teenagers, but I actually suspect they could be more accomodating towards one another than the last programe I watched.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Sounds silly, these people shouldnt be gadding around trying to prove `something` They should be sat at home being waited on hand and foot.

That or try to get a real job and get on in life.

I mean, whats an employer to think when they see that on their CV? `Silly globetrotting teen` more than like.

(My cousins got Tourretts.)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I agree with you, Firecrest., they were very hard toward that man and he certainly seemed to have an isolated and lonely life because of his disability.

There is a young lad (16) who does not appear, on the face of it to be disabled, ie he has not got a bit of him missing, and to start with, when the going got tougher, they were beginning to get very annoyed with his apparent inability/unwillingness to be of any help to those who were very obviously disabled in some way. But toward the end of the episode, they were pulling together a lot more than the people in that first series you mentioned. When you think about the pampered life we in the west do live, it was quite hard going for those young people who had never experienced anything like this. I'll watch the next one next week.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I watched one similar last year of a group of disabled people crossing the desert. sad i missed this one I was watching QI :)

Its up on iplayer.

jojo said:
There is a young lad (16) who does not appear, on the face of it to be disabled, ie he has not got a bit of him missing, and to start with, when the going got tougher, they were beginning to get very annoyed with his apparent inability/unwillingness to be of any help to those who were very obviously disabled in some way.

Yeah, only 100 people apparently share his disability in the UK. Not able to problem solve, to an extent that can't even tie shoelaces or use a tin opener sounds really awful. Whilst the rest can plan and adapt to solve problems, he can't do it.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Sounds silly, these people shouldnt be gadding around trying to prove `something` They should be sat at home being waited on hand and foot.

That or try to get a real job and get on in life.

I mean, whats an employer to think when they see that on their CV? `Silly globetrotting teen` more than like.

(My cousins got Tourretts.)

My point is Tengu, people with physical disabilities want to be treated with respect by society and this is rightly so, but many do this by disassociating or insulting those of us who are otherwise disabled. The disability rights commission does a much poorer job of helping people out with neurological disability, I was unemployed for nearly 2 years and did nothing to help me and the job centres disability advisors shrugged their shoulders at my condition and my rights.
I am on the Autistic Spectrum,among other things. I have managed to pull myself up by the bootstraps alone so few people today would ever suspect how i started out. I now work for the Autistic Society. I have worked in the past for charities for people with physical disabilities. Most of the people I met were absolutely wonderful and looked after those among them with learning difficulties and hidden disabilities, together people learned to understand and empathise with each others disabilities which is why I found it a real shame to have watched that programme and see people who were too self-centered to work as a team with those who they refused to relate to. Many physically disabled people would have been upset with how that man was treated as well.

Also, I know you were just making an off hand comment there, you probably didnt realise my condition and my line of work, but I spent most days taking autistics out into the community. I spent all of yesterday taking a severely autistic man to his favorite football club. He is non-verbal, just screams. wears a nappy. most people, even those that work closely with him, assume him to be a vegetable. He isnt. He will write for you if he trusts you, thats how we know he is a football fan, follows politics and reads french newspapers, despite not being able to dress himself or go to the toilet. Thus, even within his frame of care, his needs are frequently not met because those delivering his care simply don't understand his condition, they refuse to believe it is him writing. This is lack of public awareness , interest and finance. There is plenty information out there could show these people how to understand and tolerate severe autism affectively but failure to see these people as legitmate human beings is seen by society as less shameful than failure to recognise the physically disabled as full human beings. It is an issue that should have been dealt with on the programe with the man with tourettes but it was not.
rant over. (sorry, yes Im long winded!)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Its up on iplayer.

Yeah, only 100 people apparently share his disability in the UK. Not able to problem solve, to an extent that can't even tie shoelaces or use a tin opener sounds really awful. Whilst the rest can plan and adapt to solve problems, he can't do it.

You mean the boy with Dyspraxia? I was just watching the programe on iplayer like someone said (cheers!) dyspraxia is common, about 1 in 100, but Ive not seen it as severe as that, I guess the more severe something is on a spectrum, its usually the rarest. I was diagnosed with dyspraxic tendancies some years ago, which I didnt believe, but seeing that kid attempt to tie a knot and noting on another thread that I discovered I found it almost impossible to tie knots, I guess I might have it after all! took me years to learn to do a shoelace I remember that!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE