Acorns, but not oak...

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Found a load of this plant that had been cut down recently & noticed it had acorns but looked nothing like oak:

17854297.jpg

Any ideas?

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Thanks, the pictures in my tree book show the leaves as more like holly but does say mature trees have smoother leaves - perhaps these were upper branches

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Thanks, the pictures in my tree book show the leaves as more like holly but does say mature trees have smoother leaves - perhaps these were upper branches

spot on spandit, the mature holm oak has glossy ovate leaves but young trees and suckered shoots carry the spiney holly like leaves :)

Last edited:

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'll come clean. These were at the side of a road next to a large building site & a load of logs. They were there for quite a while until I rescued them. Not sure if the wood is from the same tree, though. Will take pictures of the bark tomorrow if I have time

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Spot on Holm oak,There’s one just outside here and I just went out to look at the underside of the tree leaves for identification but it is the bark that is the dead giveaway for Holm Oak so until an image of the dark .......defiantly at least 99.9% sure.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Spot on Holm oak,There’s one just outside here and I just went out to look at the underside of the tree leaves for identification but it is the bark that is the dead giveaway for Holm Oak so until an image of the dark .......defiantly at least 99.9% sure.

Here you go, then:

8ae48a60.jpg

29bfc691.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE