Acorn Pizza with Chicken Of The Woods Topping.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've missed these recipes TeeDee. How did you find the acorn flour base? Was it too bitter or just right? There's loads about this year, really should try some.

Looking forward to the Exeter-fried-squirrel dish.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've missed these recipes TeeDee. How did you find the acorn flour base? Was it too bitter or just right? There's loads about this year, really should try some.

Looking forward to the Exeter-fried-squirrel dish.

I was pleasantly surprised by the flavour of the Acorn Flour - I boiled and rinsed the mix Three times until the water was clearer than the Two preceding boils which seemed right

I'm going to try a sample batch being left in cold running water just to prove the primitive technique to myself for ghit & siggles.

There are indeed a bumper crop available.

Ref the ongoing incursions by the Sciurus mafia...

I've eaten their kind before and if they don't pack it in I maybe working on a range of Tufty based stuffed Tortillas.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Our squirrels eat almost nothing but spruce tree cone seed. Can't hide it with curry.
What did you do (if anything) to provide a leavening agent for the acorn flour?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Brill stuff TeeDee, nicely creative and you've obviously put effort into it. It's a real demonstration of foraging and making something tasty for your efforts, well, I presume it was tasty :D goodjob

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Brill stuff TeeDee, nicely creative and you've obviously put effort into it. It's a real demonstration of foraging and making something tasty for your efforts, well, I presume it was tasty :D goodjob

Did taste good.

I'm sure if someone could grow COTW on a larger scale it would be a commercial success. Really does have the texture of Chicken,

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
I was pleasantly surprised by the flavour of the Acorn Flour - I boiled and rinsed the mix Three times until the water was clearer than the Two preceding boils which seemed right

I'm going to try a sample batch being left in cold running water just to prove the primitive technique to myself for ghit & siggles.

There are indeed a bumper crop available.

Ref the ongoing incursions by the Sciurus mafia...

I've eaten their kind before and if they don't pack it in I maybe working on a range of Tufty based stuffed Tortillas.
Is it possible to leach the tannings out in a steam or river over a period of time?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Is it possible to leach the tannings out in a steam or river over a period of time?
According to the various books i've read - Yes.

No doubt cooler stream temperatures will mean its needs far longer.

3.39 for Start of Section.

6:55 for Leaching Section.

Ray Mears' Wild Food Episode 5 - YouTube

Guess it depends on what one intends to use/fabricate as a net/mesh and how fine the holes are.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE