Access For All

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
A woman with her screaching kids stopped on a beach I know and had a bbq with one of those aluminium foil throwaway bbqs.

While you arnt allowed to light fires on the beach, we didnt pay much attention until she had finished burning burgers and picked it up with a wet towel and threw it in the bushes behind the beach.

It took half a day to put out the fire and nearly burned out a very upmarket challet site.

I would dearly love to have permission to go play with my hammocks and hobos and can guaruntee that neither I nor my kids - while they are with me will cause any damage...

...but...

....Can you imagine her and half a dozen like her loose with matches in the forests in August - if it stops raining.

Last edited:

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
This is the beach she was on.

b-fire01.jpg

You can see they dont let the trees and gorse get too big anymore.

You can see one burn where they control it, in case she comes back.

I have also seen another more recently light a bbq on top of one of the fibreglass tenders on the beach.

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Woodlands are kept private for good reason. It takes a lot of time and money to manage woodland. It used to drive me mad when I found evidence of wild camping in the woods we used for courses etc. Even bushcrafters can be irresponsible in the persuit of their hobby. Each year after the Cornwall RV I would spend a day picking up trash and making good the cutting, digging etc that people had done. Ask Roger how long it takes to clear up after the Gathering.

I would say that if you want to organise use, be prepared for the fall out or ensure very close supervision. A ticket / pass system sounds good in theory put it will be YOU who the land owner comes to when his prize Oak has some ones initials carved into it, or the wild life has disapeared and the eco system in the wood breaks down.

It is great to organise woodland use but I would suggest an organised meet with a start and end. You can supervise, and clear up. I dont want to put a damper on your idea, but you may be able to learn from my own hard learned experience.

Good luck with your plan.

Its not just your side of the pond that has this problem. Over here lots of Camels are killed or injured by rubbish left in the desert following camping trips etc.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE